Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Photos of My First WWI Aviation Tunic...

Article about: ...which I sold to purchase my attributed grouping to Maj. harry L. Wingate. I still have fond memories of the tunic, but I have "graduated" to adding only named groupings to my co

Arrow Photos of My First WWI Aviation Tunic...

...which I sold to purchase my attributed grouping to Maj. harry L. Wingate.

I still have fond memories of the tunic, but I have "graduated" to adding only named groupings to my collection as I thoroughly enjoy the research. I believe the wing to be very similar to the wing attributed to Lt. Jerome Keith which is shown in Maj. Terry Morris' fine book entitled "United States Army Air Service Wing Badges-Uniforms and Insignia 1913-1919".

The tunic is US made, with what is probably a post WWI Sam Browne belt. The shoulder patch is a rarely seen variation of the 1st. Army insignia with only the red portion of the usual red, white and blue concentric circles.

Here are a few shots...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photos of My First WWI Aviation Tunic...   Photos of My First WWI Aviation Tunic...  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Photos of My First WWI Aviation Tunic...

A
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photos of My First WWI Aviation Tunic...   Photos of My First WWI Aviation Tunic...  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Insignia...

Photos of My First WWI Aviation Tunic...   Photos of My First WWI Aviation Tunic...  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Tunic inner labels...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Bullion wings showing Croix de Guerre ribbon.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

More wing shots in detail.

Photos of My First WWI Aviation Tunic...   Photos of My First WWI Aviation Tunic...  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Of interest, here is a then and now illustration of the building in which the uniform manufacturer was housed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photos of My First WWI Aviation Tunic...  
    Attached Images Attached Images Photos of My First WWI Aviation Tunic... 

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

And here is how I displayed it...before I had the good sense to purchase some mannequins...

Thanks for looking...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hi Steven, that must have been hard to part with. Shame it never had a name in it.

But I understand your logic and it is the way forward where ever possible. My wife Lez now virtually only buys named groups for her collection.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I always liked that uniform Steve and wish now that I had jumped on it when you were letting it go but,since helmets are my primary focus and I had one of those on the line at the same time, I had to let your uniform throw the hook. However, I am thrilled to see that you've gone to mannequins and stopped using the "casket" method of displaying your uniforms.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast