Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Post Your ORIGINAL WWI Opposing Forces Flight Badges!

Article about: by jaba1914 This one had no JUCKER mark only crescent moon and "800" but it's a typical piece made by JUCKER. I know also maker marked badges from same style. But here is a JUNCKER

Arrow Post Your ORIGINAL WWI Opposing Forces Flight Badges!

This thread is for posting aviation flight badges from the opposing forces from WWI, including but not limited to Germany, Austro-Hungary, Turkey and Bulgaria. I look forward to seeing what you guys have!
    Last edited by Steven M; 01-27-2010 at 11:47 PM.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Post Your WWI Opposing Forces Flight Badges!

OK, I'll start off then...

Prussian cliche' issue type Pilot badge in silver with square mark on the pin.

The Prussian Pilot badge was instituted in 1913. At this time, pilot's earning their rating were issued these badges at graduation and it was considered strictly a rating badge. However, from 1914-18, a flier must not only earn their pilot rating to wear this badge, but they also had to have exposure to enemy forces in the air. Thus becoming a rating/award.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post Your ORIGINAL WWI Opposing Forces Flight Badges!   Post Your ORIGINAL WWI Opposing Forces Flight Badges!  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Here are the hinge and pin fixtures...typical for this type of badge.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post Your ORIGINAL WWI Opposing Forces Flight Badges!   Post Your ORIGINAL WWI Opposing Forces Flight Badges!  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Next up is a Bavarian cliche' pierced crown variety. Bavarian badges are scarce because of the small size of the force compared to the Prussian Air Service. To find a period piece with the crown pierced as this one, is extremely difficult. I have only seen 5 examples of this type, two of which are in the Imperial War Museum. The act of piercing the crown was not "official" but rather a statement of individuality and distinction, This was done by a jeweler with very small files. This one also has the square mark. There is much speculation about whether this is a silver or maker mark, however I have a different idea. Since I have seen this mark in conjunction with a maker mark and also on silver plated brass examples of flight badges, I believe it is an pre/early war government contract mark.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hinge and pin fixtures.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Come on guys, don't be shy...let's see 'em!

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Prussian issue Observer by CE Juncker in what I believe is nickel silver.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hinge and catch.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Steve-
    I appreciate the detail you capture in your photography. You helped me confirm that hinge/clasp assembly is distinctly German. I have no doubt those WWI Sweetheart wings I showed you a while back are indeed of German origin, most likely made during the Occupation period.

Steve,
    I don't have much to offer but attached are pic of a couple of my Opposing Forces badges. Needless to say my photographic abilities are way below the standard that you have set but I do what I can. I didn't want to open each frame so the pictures are not the best quality.

The Bavarian Observer is a Cliche type made by Carl Poellath and so marked on the pin in very tiny lettering. I found it in the package pictured, and is in mint condition.

The Commemorative Pilots badge is a heavy solid strike made by Meybauer and so marked.

The Imperial Gunner badge is hollow two piece, I belive post war mfg sure due to the poor plating. It is marked Juncker Berlin with no silver content or other marks.

The Austrian Field Pilot is the 1912 version made by Zimbler of Vienna.

Post Your ORIGINAL WWI Opposing Forces Flight Badges!  
    Attached Images Attached Images Post Your ORIGINAL WWI Opposing Forces Flight Badges!  Post Your ORIGINAL WWI Opposing Forces Flight Badges!  Post Your ORIGINAL WWI Opposing Forces Flight Badges! 

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast