Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Prototype Insignia of WWI Period as Found in Gorrell's History

Article about: Col. Edgar S. Gorrell was named Chief Aviation Historian in December of 1918. He was tasked with writing the history of the AEF Aviation Section just after the Great War. In his writings can

Default Re: Prototype Wings and Insignia of WWI Period as Found in Gorrell's History

No question concerning where the inspiration came from on this one...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Prototype Insignia of WWI Period as Found in Gorrell's History  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Prototype Wings and Insignia of WWI Period as Found in Gorrell's History

Here is an unfinished wing variant.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Prototype Insignia of WWI Period as Found in Gorrell's History  
    Last edited by Steven M; 12-08-2009 at 02:05 AM.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

I presume the intention of this design was a proposal for an Observer wing to be worn on the left shoulder.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

I just "rediscovered" this document. It has been a while since I read through the section. This document gives us some insight into the intentions for the proposed designs. Note the date of the order.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Great to see these Steve !

Interesting looking at them now "after the fact" and noting they went for a more simplistic design, as these sketches are very detailed and elaborate.

Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Great to see these Steve !

Interesting looking at them now "after the fact" and noting they went for a more simplistic design, as these sketches are very detailed and elaborate.

Regards,

Steve.
    Hi (other) Steve,

I was taken by these images the first time that I saw them. My friend Chuck (CThomas) here on the forum called me one night and said "you have got to see this!" I had read through Gorrell's many times before this, but hadn't stumbled across these. The history he wrote is massive, and one could spend many years following leads and researching the text of this publication alone.

i must say that I am glad that a few designs never were approved, while others would have made beautiful additions to uniforms.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Itwould appear that he favored the British (post 11) and French (post 13) insignia is his designs. Very interesting material. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    Terry

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Itwould appear that he favored the British (post 11) and French (post 13) insignia is his designs. Very interesting material. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    Terry
    My pleasure Major, and indeed there is a very strong influence in the designs. Perhaps this "foreign" influence was the element that caused the designs not to be approved. My thinking is that perhaps the approving personnel were looking for designs more distinctive in design for the US, rather than build on existing pieces that merely look like amendments or revisions?

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Prototype Insignia of WWI Period as Found in Gorrell's History

I don't know the intention of this design, but it would have made an attractive piece.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Prototype Insignia of WWI Period as Found in Gorrell's History

This design reminds me of a plane going down in flames...horrible creation.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast