Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Prototype Insignia of WWI Period as Found in Gorrell's History

Article about: Col. Edgar S. Gorrell was named Chief Aviation Historian in December of 1918. He was tasked with writing the history of the AEF Aviation Section just after the Great War. In his writings can

?

Default Re: Prorotype Wings and Insignia of WWI Found in Gorrell's History

Quote by Steven M View Post
    This one reminds me of some of the Air Corp shoulder patches of WWII. The writing in the lower left hand corner is difficult to make out but it relates to either the person or firm who designed it. This is seen on many of the drawings.
    Steve, A very interesting thread! I like going through Gorrell's for the personnel information but hadn't even thought about looking through it for insignia. The wings in two of the designs that you showed earlier in this thread have a similiar pattern to those seen of angel's wings on tomb stones of the period. Not exactly highly motivational!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Prototype Insignia of WWI Period as Found in Gorrell's History  

Default Re: Prototype Insignia of WWI Period as Found in Gorrell's History

Hi Steve,

This is a GREAT thread! This design I believe was inspired by some older Icarus derivations.

Gary
    Quote by Steven M View Post
    I don't know the intention of this design, but it would have made an attractive piece.

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    Hi Steve,

This is a GREAT thread! This design I believe was inspired by some older Icarus derivations.

Gary
    Hi Gary,

Thanks. This is one of the most interesting areas that I have found in Gorrell's History.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Great thread Steve! I was able to get a copy of Gorrel's history of the 99th Aero when I was reaserching Bill Doran but that is all of his work that I have seen. I got my copy of the 99th Aero info from the National Archives, the quality of the image copies was pretty typical bad Xerox. I'd love to be able to get high quality digital scans of the photos and illustrations.

Was it ever published in a finished volume? If not, then why not? How much is there?

Quote by Croix de Guerre View Post
    Great thread Steve! I was able to get a copy of Gorrel's history of the 99th Aero when I was reaserching Bill Doran but that is all of his work that I have seen. I got my copy of the 99th Aero info from the National Archives, the quality of the image copies was pretty typical bad Xerox. I'd love to be able to get high quality digital scans of the photos and illustrations.

Was it ever published in a finished volume? If not, then why not? How much is there?
    Thanks Tom! All good questions, and I have never seen it published as the complete work. There is such a wealth of unseen and forgotten information there...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3