Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Prussian Aviator

Article about: by Chris L Were the squadron numbers placed on officer's tunics? I have seen one on Tony Schurr's website which was a oval disk sewn on the sleeve--but it was for a enlisted man. I would not

Default Prussian Aviator

I havn't seen the other side represented yet so here is a Prussian aviator. His identity is still unknown but I may be closing in on it.
    The jacket is the same as in the photograph and I provided a picture so you can see how the tunic was converted from sewn in shoulder straps to removeable. The EKI is I believe his, but I added the pilots badge. It is a Meybauer in the original case.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Prussian Aviator   Prussian Aviator  

Prussian Aviator   Prussian Aviator  

Prussian Aviator  

Default Re: Prussian Aviator

There were a couple of very cool things that came with the tunic.

The first was a very early Zeiss Feldstecher binocular from 1894 (the first year they were sold) and an exceptional Schnapps flask.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Prussian Aviator   Prussian Aviator  

This is great set of items, do you think thare was some sort of a badge on the
    arm..the flask is the buisness....are thare any markings on the inside of the tunic..
    ( if it's to much trouble, don't worrie about it ) thanks for showing it...

We must have faith in the masses and we must have faith in the Party.
    These are two cardinal principles. If we doubt these principles, we shall accomplish nothing.

Hi,

No there are no markings on the inside. I believe the marking on the sleeve was for a Machinegunners Badge. I have no idea when it was removed.

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by darrenj40 View Post
    This is great set of items, do you think thare was some sort of a badge on the
    arm..the flask is the buisness....are thare any markings on the inside of the tunic..
    ( if it's to much trouble, don't worrie about it ) thanks for showing it...

We must have faith in the masses and we must have faith in the Party.
    These are two cardinal principles. If we doubt these principles, we shall accomplish nothing.

great set of items...keep us posted for more info

Hi Gary, that is a great item, indeed a great group. Having something which can actually been seen a period photo makes it even more special.

I would agree, it looks like an MG gunners badge was once on the cuff. As you know, most of these guys started their careers elsewhere.

I hope you are sucessful in tracking down his identity.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    I havn't seen the other side represented yet so here is a Prussian aviator. His identity is still unknown but I may be closing in on it.
    The jacket is the same as in the photograph and I provided a picture so you can see how the tunic was converted from sewn in shoulder straps to removeable. The EKI is I believe his, but I added the pilots badge. It is a Meybauer in the original case.
    Gary,
    I suspect that the round shadow on the sleeve was a squadron number patch. I have some pictures of such being worn, will dig them out and post later. Always the possibilty of the machine gun badge as mentioned by a couple other members as well. Fantastic uniform. These gray tunics are few and far between. If you go back a couple pages I posted an Imperial Enlisted Pilots tunic a couple months ago, you might be interested in checking out.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I will and thanks for the heads up on another possibilty for the patch shadow.

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Gary,
    I suspect that the round shadow on the sleeve was a squadron number patch. I have some pictures of such being worn, will dig them out and post later. Always the possibilty of the machine gun badge as mentioned by a couple other members as well. Fantastic uniform. These gray tunics are few and far between. If you go back a couple pages I posted an Imperial Enlisted Pilots tunic a couple months ago, you might be interested in checking out.

Terry

Were the squadron numbers placed on officer's tunics? I have seen one on Tony Schurr's website which was a oval disk sewn on the sleeve--but it was for a enlisted man. I would not have thought officer's would wear one, but I honestly have no idea.

I was going to say MG badge due to what look like prong marks--but I dont really know enough to comment

beautiful tunic by the way!

Yet another fantastic posting Gary. These tunics are hard enough to find by themselves (understatement), but to have a photo of it in wear is almost unheard of.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast