Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

RAAF Boomerang Photos

Article about: by KMMorris The CA-13 Boomerang was our first go building a fighter so some slack may be in order Very true Morris, It served a very important purpose re Aircraft construction and design in

Default RAAF Boomerang Photos

Heres some photos,
    RAAF 83 Squadron , CA-13 Boomerang , Home Defence.
    Serial # A46-155 , Sqd # MH-B
    One of only 249 built overall.
    Put into Service 26/11/43
    Crashed on Landing 26/9/44
    One on the biggest pieces of shit aircraft that Australia had at the time and no match for any Japanese aircraft.

But a good rugged ground attack and Arty spotter.
    Great photo's Kenworth, Nice mate.
    Cheers for posting them.

i thought that the boomerang was ok at its 300 mph, and its 20mm guns. but it was the first for australia. at the time we had to come up with somthing.

Reminds me of another aircraft that used by the Australian with some success was the A-31 Vengeance.

It's an interesting aircraft, dive bomber, but with lots of problem for the Americans:

- The size of the engine was too large that the pilot would have trouble observing.

- Constant problem with liquid cool engine.

- When the rear canopy was opened, the aircraft was uncontrollable (sounds strange)

- The aircraft was unbalanced, so most of the time no rear gunner on board.

However, when they were handover(by lend-lease act) to the Commonwealths, the problems were solved.

After the war, they were used as trainers.

RAAF Boomerang Photos

Regards,
    Taka

Hi Taka,
    I little more on the Vengeance in Australian service,
    The Vultee Vengeance was originally developed for the RAF by Vultee (USA) as a dive bomber and a direct equivalent of the Ju-87.
    Australia recieved 342 out of the 400 ordered under lend-lease.Deliveries ran from May 1942 until early1944. 58 were cancelled.These were in 3 MK's I,II and IV and carried the serial A-27 in RAAF service.
    This airframe was not overly successful as a dive bomber ending their days as target tugs and communications airframes. The surviving Vengeance's were withdrawn from service in 1946 and disposed of over the next 5 years. Sixteen were passed on to the RAN from 1948 to 1950 as ground and fire training airframes.
    Cheers
    Dave

The CA-13 Boomerang was our first go building a fighter so some slack may be in order

It must have performed reasonably as most pilots who flew it thought it was a pretty good aircraft!..

It was looked upon with favor by Australian pilots because we were still flying biplanes up to 1939.

The first powered flight under control in Australia was by the noted escapologist Harry Houdini in early 1910 flying a French Voisin aircraft.

Not a lot of people know that.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    The first powered flight under control in Australia was by the noted escapologist Harry Houdini in early 1910 flying a French Voisin aircraft.

Not a lot of people know that.
    I do now!...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast