Default Re: RAAF? MkIII Goggles

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    luxor goggles.
    Cheers, so these would be British made?
    The B Type helmet is Aussie made
    Last edited by reneblacky; 01-30-2013 at 04:38 AM. Reason: added text

Hi Rene,

The goggles you have are actually the MK.IIIA type, and were designed specifically for use in enclosed cockpits. They are pretty rare, and the condition of yours is really outstanding, they're very desirable to collectors indeed.

They could be either British, Canadian or Aussie made, it's hard to say. You could do well to look for any markings or stamps on them. Aussie made ones often had red canvas over the 'springs' on the headband, but this isn't always the case. British made ones are usually stamped A.M. 22C/62 and some other numbers after that on the strap. Also Aussie made ones may have the manufacturers name 'Stokes' stamped on them. Thanks for showing them mate!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Rene,

The goggles you have are actually the MK.IIIA type, and were designed specifically for use in enclosed cockpits. They are pretty rare, and the condition of yours is really outstanding, they're very desirable to collectors indeed.

They could be either British, Canadian or Aussie made, it's hard to say. You could do well to look for any markings or stamps on them. Aussie made ones often had red canvas over the 'springs' on the headband, but this isn't always the case. British made ones are usually stamped A.M. 22C/62 and some other numbers after that on the strap. Also Aussie made ones may have the manufacturers name 'Stokes' stamped on them. Thanks for showing them mate!

Regards, Ned.
    Cheers Ned and you are most welcome Mate plus thank you kindly for the info. These have no marks

If i was forced to bet, and I am not a betting man, I would say Aussie made. I only put this down to the dark blue cloth padding (Like RAAF uniform Blue) and could be hopelessly mistaken on this...

But super item regardless.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    If i was forced to bet, and I am not a betting man, I would say Aussie made. I only put this down to the dark blue cloth padding (Like RAAF uniform Blue) and could be hopelessly mistaken on this...

But super item regardless.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade, that's my guess also

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2