Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF Mk IV Fying Googles

Article about: Heres some pics of Mk IV RAF Flying Goggles and Accesories for reference. The Mk IV googles had numerous upgrades during its short lifespan with a few variants. Markings in order of issue. M

Default RAF Mk IV Fying Googles

Heres some pics of Mk IV RAF Flying Goggles and Accesories for reference.
    The Mk IV googles had numerous upgrades during its short lifespan with a few variants.
    Markings in order of issue.
    Mk IV 22C / 111
    Mk IVa 22C / 136
    Mk IVb 22C / 167

The main issue that I can point out to any collector looking to buy a original set is that delamination to lenses is normal and to be expected . If it does not have any at all , the lenses have been replaced .

Hope this helps .

Cheers

Very great example!

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers!
    Taka

?

I like 'em.

Quirky strap arrangement that.

The Mk IV series of goggles were designed specifically to be worn with the B type flying helmet, the looped straps fitted around the earcups that held the earphones for the communication loom. They were a bit heavy so they had a little arched carrier (seen above) that the pilot could rivet to the helmet temple area to stop the goggles from sliding down your face.

?

Quote by asterperious View Post
    The Mk IV series of goggles were designed specifically to be worn with the B type flying helmet, the looped straps fitted around the earcups that held the earphones for the communication loom. They were a bit heavy so they had a little arched carrier (seen above) that the pilot could rivet to the helmet temple area to stop the goggles from sliding down your face.
    Good info, thanks.
    I sort of figured out the strap arrangement, but missed the implication of the 'temple area rivet' arrangement.

I saw the screw thingy, but thought it for attaching the pictured flip-down sun lense and for (it seems like) adjusting the width of the goggles.

'B' Type flying helmet showing goggles and strap arrangement below.

Pics and info from this random site found during search for the Type B flying helmet:
    GB B Type

I understand, that there are both a MK IV, MK IVa and MKIVb flying goggle - the ones below are Mark IVb posted mainly to show the strap arrangement.
    Attached Images Attached Images RAF Mk IV Fying Googles  RAF Mk IV Fying Googles