Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF Mk VIII Flying Goggles

Article about: Here's some on my Mk VIII goggles piccys, from Unissued Mint , to used , and with Tint Lenses. For collectors wanting wartime examples , all have the 22C/930 Stamped on the bridge of the nos

Default RAF Mk VIII Flying Goggles

Here's some on my Mk VIII goggles piccys, from Unissued Mint , to used , and with Tint Lenses.
    For collectors wanting wartime examples , all have the 22C/930 Stamped on the bridge of the nose piece.
    The main thing to look for when buying , Is the AM stamp ( obviously) but many post WW2 examples can be had a much more affordable price without it. The other is the condition of the Elastic Strap .
    One common theme with all my goggles posted is they ALL have some signs of delamination on the lenses , even the NOS unused ones. Even if it isnt obvious to the naked eye , the photos pick it up in the light refraction.
    Hope this Info Helps
    Last edited by Kenworth; 12-27-2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: I cant spell

?

Good looking goggles.
    IMO the look is the epitome of vintage flying goggles with the 'kink' or 'break' in the lenses.
    Padding seems to have held up well - on some goggles with the other type of sponge-like padding, it seems to practically dissolve over the decades.

Quote by Scout View Post
    Good looking goggles.
    IMO the look is the epitome of vintage flying goggles with the 'kink' or 'break' in the lenses.
    Padding seems to have held up well - on some goggles with the other type of sponge-like padding, it seems to practically dissolve over the decades.
    The quality leather backing , slows down the decay process

?

Yes, that was my impression as well upon viewing your excellent pics of the goggles.

As the padding is 'contained' in the leather, so to speak, that will slow down the process.

'Unbacked' spinge-like padding would be/is inherently fragile.

I have a modern pair of 'retro' motorbike goggles of the same type with the 'kink' in the corner of the lenses, where the manufaturer cheapened out and went with the sponge padding with no leather backing. They went after but a few decades even with no use at all - I never got to ride with them, as I thought them a little over the top back then.

Quote by Scout View Post
    Yes, that was my impression as well upon viewing your excellent pics of the goggles.

As the padding is 'contained' in the leather, so to speak, that will slow down the process.

'Unbacked' spinge-like padding would be/is inherently fragile.

I have a modern pair of 'retro' motorbike goggles of the same type with the 'kink' in the corner of the lenses, where the manufaturer cheapened out and went with the sponge padding with no leather backing. They went after but a few decades even with no use at all - I never got to ride with them, as I thought them a little over the top back then.
    Stadium motorbike goggles ?

Your obviously a Motorbike rider like me .

?

Quote by Kenworth View Post
    Stadium motorbike goggles ?

Your obviously a Motorbike rider like me .
    Seems they are 'Swans.' Nothing special, I guess.

They've sat on a helmet for years, maybe that was a contributing factor to the decay, though unpadded sponge padding is not a good design idea to begin with IMO.

Yes, I ride bikes, though my old bike wont be ridden for a while; it threw a rod last riding season. Ive never heard a more disgusting metallic sound in my life and Ive never applied the brakes so fast either.

I recently bought some Leon Jeantet goggles, which Ive wanted for some time (bottom pic).
    They've been made like this by hand for over a hundred years. A classic company (Jeantet goggles sold in the UK by Davida, which is company that make some nifty riding stuff themselves (dont know who markets them in your neck of the woods - if any)).
    I was how ever disappointed by the very flimsy construction of the goggles and shifted them in short order.
    Now I just said to heck with it and wear issue sand/sun goggles from the sand box.
    They are Wiley X and have interchangeable clear/tinted lenses.
    They work after a fashion when riding, if it isnt too hot and only if you are moving.
    In the desert they were 'carp,' as the padding restricts air flow and make the lenses steam up if not in the slipstream when sitting in a vehicle.
    For running or other exertion which might happen suddenly in the sand box, your body temp will steam them up in no time flat.
    This was a tangent - now back to the regular scheduled programming
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Mk VIII Flying Goggles   RAF Mk VIII Flying Goggles  

RAF Mk VIII Flying Goggles  
    Attached Images Attached Images RAF Mk VIII Flying Goggles 

Quote by Scout View Post
    Seems they are 'Swans.' Nothing special, I guess.

They've sat on a helmet for years, maybe that was a contributing factor to the decay, though unpadded sponge padding is not a good design idea to begin with IMO.

Yes, I ride bikes, though my old bike wont be ridden for a while; it threw a rod last riding season. Ive never heard a more disgusting metallic sound in my life and Ive never applied the brakes so fast either.

I recently bought some Leon Jeantet goggles, which Ive wanted for some time (bottom pic).
    They've been made like this by hand for over a hundred years. A classic company (Jeantet goggles sold in the UK by Davida, which is company that make some nifty riding stuff themselves (dont know who markets them in your neck of the woods - if any)).
    I was how ever disappointed by the very flimsy construction of the goggles and shifted them in short order.
    Now I just said to heck with it and wear issue sand/sun goggles from the sand box.
    They are Wiley X and have interchangeable clear/tinted lenses.
    They work after a fashion when riding, if it isnt too hot and only if you are moving.
    In the desert they were 'carp,' as the padding restricts air flow and make the lenses steam up if not in the slipstream when sitting in a vehicle.
    For running or other exertion which might happen suddenly in the sand box, your body temp will steam them up in no time flat.
    This was a tangent - now back to the regular scheduled programming
    Swans are crap modern day copies of the Stadium MkVIII ones, send me a pm with you address and I'll post you a set of early 60's Original Stadium MkVIII motorcycle googles, FOC , I was gunna throw them out , but they are very cool , you just need to make a new strap for them as the original strap is rubber and snapped.

Quote by Kenworth View Post
    Swans are crap modern day copies of the Stadium MkVIII ones, send me a pm with you address and I'll post you a set of early 60's Original Stadium MkVIII motorcycle googles, FOC , I was gunna throw them out , but they are very cool , you just need to make a new strap for them as the original strap is rubber and snapped.
    Let me know if you want them , otherwise bin time

?

Thank you very much for your kind gesture!

That is above and beyond the call of duty!

Bút I have the below vintage (60s/70s?) Russian aviation goggles incomming and would rather have the Stadium goggles go to someone who would make use of them.

They are of obvious quality and looks to be in fine nick.

You might consider offering them to other forum members, if you plan on binning them!!!

Im sure, another forum member would gladly offer to pay for postage in order to own the quality Stadium goggles.

These old(ish) Russian goggles below have rubber 'gasket' with felt padding:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Mk VIII Flying Goggles   RAF Mk VIII Flying Goggles