Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RAF P11 compass

Article about: I just purchased this compass recently. It's in good condition but I want to have it rebuilt to near new condition. Does anyone know of someone that can do this? Thanks! John

Default RAF P11 compass possible rebuild?

I just purchased this compass recently. It's in good condition but I want to have it rebuilt to near new condition. Does anyone know of someone that can do this? Thanks!
    John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF P11 compass   RAF P11 compass  

RAF P11 compass  
    Last edited by johnb593; 05-27-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: help request

Default Re: RAF P11 compass

What is wrong with the condition of it?

The alcohol has leaked out and the glass has dirty looking residue on the underside.

It'll cost more to put right than it's worth i'm afraid John. I've picked these up in the past complete, tagged and cased for £20 or even less. My advice would be, aside from giving it a wipe over, leave it as it is.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned. It looks like that is what I'll have to do. Sure would like to see it nice and "shiny clean" though. I'm wondering if I can remove the glass and clean the underside without making it worse.

John

?

Ned is correct of course the cost of restoration would exceed the value if the lens is made from plastic it will clean up rather well on the exterior by using some of the wife's lemon pledge furniture polish (yes I said furniture polish ) the wax will some what fill in the scratches and bring the luster back .
    I use this method all the time on my widows on my jeeps soft top,bike helmet visor,and windscreen for my bike and skidoo.

Regards Mark K

Thanks Mark. The lens is plastic as far as I can tell so I just might give that a try.

John

The glass lens covering the compass rose was sealed with an oil based putty to retain the alcohol, and they have often failed over the years, drying out and leaking, leaving the case completely drained or having a bubble gradually appearing. To try and take it apart will only wreck it further imo, best just tidy up the exterior as best you can I reckon.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I guess I'll just have to wipe it down and put it back in the box unless someone comes up with a better solution. Thanks Ned.

John

?

Ned correct me if I am wrong once you take the screws out of the face plate (retaining ring ) on the top of the compass the top lens is compression fitted to the base and as you have already stated an oil base putty was used as a gasket.

Regards Mark K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast