Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

RAF P11 compass

Article about: I just purchased this compass recently. It's in good condition but I want to have it rebuilt to near new condition. Does anyone know of someone that can do this? Thanks! John

Default Re: RAF P11 compass possible rebuild?

Guys here is a scan of the P11 parts/assembly diagram. Does this help any?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF P11 compass  

Default Re: RAF P11 compass

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Ned correct me if I am wrong once you take the screws out of the face plate (retaining ring ) on the top of the compass the top lens is compression fitted to the base and as you have already stated an oil base putty was used as a gasket.

Regards Mark K
    Hi Mark,

TBH, i've never had one apart, so I can't comment on if the lens is a compressive fit, maybe aided by another gasket or sealant, but I guess it's as likely. My experience with the way these things were made only goes as far as to noticing the perishing of the putty and the results thereof i'm afraid!

John, from what I can see from the diagram you have shown, it only goes to show how difficult it would appear to be to start taking the compass apart to 'renovate' it, and only strengthens my personal opinion to leave well alone. If you want a working one in A1 condition it maybe worth being patient and trading up under the circumstances, as the the job in hand looks a little....'intimidating', shall we say!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Default Re: RAF P11 compass

Yep, I think you are correct Ned. Guess I'll just leave it alone for now and keep an eye out for a "newer" one.
    Thanks!

John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2