Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF Wigsley

Article about: RAF Wigsley is on the Nottinghamshire border with Lincolnshire. It was a satellite station for RAF Swinderby and a conversion unit for Hampdons and Lancasters shutting in the fifties. Most o

Default RAF Wigsley

RAF Wigsley is on the Nottinghamshire border with Lincolnshire. It was a satellite station for RAF Swinderby and a conversion unit for Hampdons and Lancasters shutting in the fifties. Most of the buildings still stand but have been swallowed up into peoples properties. However, if you look hard enough some are still accessible. Nature has also taken over!

Wigsley is unique as it has the only three storey control tower of this design. The tower is accessible but the ground was still flooded from the winter rains. I will go back when it is a bit dryer.

The run way itself is now home to hundreds of pigs.

The buildings shown are Stanton shelters, toilet blocks, sub station with an outer blast wall and a picket building. The picket building is located about 1/2 mile away from the main runway.

There are still plenty of places to explore.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Wigsley   RAF Wigsley  

RAF Wigsley   RAF Wigsley  

Default Re: RAF Wigsley

Very cool.
    chris

?

Cheers Dave looks like a good place to visit..I like noseying around places like this...always interesting..So thanks for the photos & now go and get your wellys on for the control tower..lol. Cheers Terry.

mate it would be like going bog snorkling to try and get to it. I have been in before just without camera. As in all these places its covered in graffitti.

?

Shame about graffitti..but I wouldn't expect anything different these days.....As for the bog snorkling best leave it a few months lol... But thanks for the pictures though..Cheers Terry.

Thanks for these! I was born and brought up 10 miles from there! Swinderby was the place I used to visit as an Air Cadet. I was aware of Wigsley but these are the first images I have seen!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem