Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

RAF wings worn on Army issue Khaki battledress

Article about: Hi Guys, thought that I would share this photo with you from our family photo album. As you can see here, Chris wears RAF pilots wings on his Army BD blouse. Cheers, Ade.

Default RAF wings worn on Army issue Khaki battledress

Hi Guys, thought that I would share this photo with you from our family photo album.

As you can see here, Chris wears RAF pilots wings on his Army BD blouse.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Images Attached Images RAF wings worn on Army issue  Khaki battledress 

?

Default Re: RAF wings worn on Army issue Khaki battledress

Hi Ade , what does this denote ?

cheers Al

Hi Al, it could be one of two things actually.

He could be a former RAF pilot but now part of the Army or even the Home Guard. Or he could still be a member of the RAF serving in the tactical air force. Many pilots opted for khaki BD as it offfered better concealment if they were shot down and had to evade capture.

The RAF had their own khaki BD which was called "Heavy working dress".

I beleive Chris was a family friend and not actually a relative, but I really need to ask my Dad about him to confirm the relationship.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade, any ideas what his ribbons are? I can't really make them out so clearly...
    Only three, or is there a fourth........

One under the right wing looks like a Naval General Service Medal from my end !
    ( Can't tell, poor eyesight ! Speaking of.......odd that as a pilot, he is wearing glasses ! )

Regards,

Hi, I asked some medal collector friends to look at this some years ago, as I was not sure either. The general concensus was that the first two were the WW1 British War medal, then the Victory medal followed by either an Army or Naval General service medal.

I suspect he was no longer a serving pilot when the pic was taken. I am learning more to him being in the Home Guard. It is just a pity that no insignia on the sleeve can be seen.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Images Attached Images RAF wings worn on Army issue  Khaki battledress 

Now that they're a bit larger,I can see !

No clue about the first ! but the center one is the WWII "Defense Medal".

The Army GS is maroon with one central dark green stripe, so the last might likely be,
    according to the ribbon chart in my Medal Yearbook, the Africa General Service Medal,

Though I know nothing about British uniforms, I DO know that I really want a set of RFC wings for my WWI collection. Great posting.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Though I know nothing about British uniforms, I DO know that I really want a set of RFC wings for my WWI collection. Great posting.

Hi, Steve !

The prices I've been seeing on E-bay lately are between
    $50 and $90 US, which is not too bad for a genuine WWII wing.

I couldn't get any info from the seller on the set I have, but
    they are quite nice !

Would you like to see them if Ade doesn't mind ? ?

Regards,

Steve.