Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Reid,J.W.(windy) D.F.C. RCAF/RAF Group Captain WW2

Article about: The following is in no particular order.

Default Re: Reid,J.W.(windy) D.F.C. RCAF/RAF Group Captain WW2

Why bother ?
    You know we all get pretty blase about our own history, as we are all so busy just living it.How many times though have you heard, damn wouldn't it be nice to have a description or picture of this or that ? That exact color of .............or whatever.
    Future historians will have it a lot easier to get the facts right than in the past but for the flavor of the times you need eye witness accounts.The first hundred years of aviation or anything else to do with that century of rapid innovation, will in the future be of very keen interest to a lot of people.I think that it is important to get this stuff down and stored somewhere in cyberspace ,while you can !

Why the American DFC ?
    Dad never talked much about his wartime experiences but through some of his fighter pilot buds I finally found out about his DFC.One of the reasons he was awarded it is the following:

It seems that while patrolling the English Channel he overheard a conversation between a wounded American fighter pilot and his home base.He dove down and intercepted the wounded flier who was now slipping in and out of consciousness from loss of blood.Dad flew up along side and was encouraging the pilot to fight to remain conscious singing dirty air force songs with him and even bumping his wingtip.He stayed with him until he finally crashed into the sea and was KIA.
    The whole episode was heard on the radio back at fighter command and I guess they wanted to formally recognize the event.The one problem was that breaking formation especially by the leader was against British air force regulations, no matter what the reason and he could have been called to account for it.Luckily for dad they officially ignored the whole thing as they couldn't be seen as rewarding him for breaking regulations. So that is where the Americans stepped in and said it was for helping them set up their own night fighter squadron or something to that effect.
    This account was later verified to me by the sister of the American pilot.

Another interesting story overheard by my son who attended a fighter pilots reunion with my dad many years ago was:
    Sitting at a table after a few drinks they got to talking about their wartime adventures.One guy was relating how he was shot down and was being strafed on the ground by a Nazi fighter pilot and along came a buddy and forced the enemy to break it off .He swore that if he ever saw that guy he would buy him a case of scotch.Another pilot sitting there overheard this a said ,hey I am sure that was me ! They couldn't believe it so they checked their log books and sure enough the proof was there.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast