Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Salmson 2a2 Fabric ( combat used)

Article about: Chris, here is the back of the skin, I have no doubts a bullet made this hole... Paul

Skyspy12thaero
    ?

Default Salmson 2a2 Fabric ( combat used)

One of the more interesting things in my collection was picked up at a small military show in Maitland Florida. I was down for a 101st reunion and decided to check out the show. As I was walking the rows, I saw an older man setting up his table, and it looked like he had a lot of older garbage items for sale. I made another pass and my eyes almost bugged out of my head, when I neared his table. I saw the candy cane pattern painted on silk ( canvas). I asked the man if I could look at it, and I saw that it had writing on it. " American flag insignia taken from an American plane that was brot down by a Boche aviator, Château Thierry 1918". I flipped it over to see the green camo of the Salmson, and a portion of the red and white stripes of the flag. I asked him how much and he said 100. I almost broke my wrist getting the money out of my pocket. Needless to say I started researching the losses of the 1st Aero during the Château Thierry drive and have now narrowed it down to 2 aircraft lost, with the help of Alan Toelle. About a year ago, I was going to inspect another squadron insignia and I took out the canvas to bring with to make sure the weave of the fabric was the same. While I was doing that I noticed a small hole in the canvas. I believe now that the whole is a bullet hole. I hope you enjoy seeing it. Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Salmson 2a2 Fabric ( combat used)   Salmson 2a2 Fabric ( combat used)  

Salmson 2a2 Fabric ( combat used)  

Jan
    ?

Default Re: Salmson 2a2 Fabric ( combat used)

That is an amazing item, really nice. Thank you for sharing it!!

Rgds Jan

Exceptional piece! Could you show a closeup of the hole?

Cheers
    Gary

Skyspy12thaero
    ?

This as good as I can get Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Salmson 2a2 Fabric ( combat used)  

An exceptional piece for an incredible price...wow.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

What a fantastic buy! It would be wonderful to find out the actual aircraft, but having narrowed it down to two possibles is great.

Cheers, Ade.

Skyspy12thaero
    ?

The only way to ID what ship it came from is to match up the stripes on a vintage photo. At that point the flag insignia was not standardized and each one was hand painted. I am keeping my eyes peeled for any reference maybe one day able to ID which crew and plane it was from.. Thanks for the comments Paul

A truly spectacular piece of aviation history! Love it! Wanna double your money

That's a great bit of news that Alan Toelle is helping you out with some of your aviation questions. He's no doubt an excellent resource. You'll also find that there are several other knowledgeable members here, on this forum. I think they'll enjoy this piece as much as I have.

-Chuck

Could I get a closeup of the back of the hole as well? So far it is looking good for a bullet hole.

Nice piece!!

From looking at it, the fabric matches my Salmson piece from the 258th in color and fabric count. Really REALLY nice find!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast