MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Seatbelt of Carl Menckhoff's Fokker D VII

Article about: Seatbelt from Oberleutnant Carl Menckhoff's Fokker D VII taken by Lt. Walter Avery of the 95th Aero Squadron. Lt. Avery shot down Menckhoff July 26, 1918........It was his first and only vic

Default Seatbelt of Carl Menckhoff's Fokker D VII

Seatbelt from Oberleutnant Carl Menckhoff's Fokker D VII taken by Lt. Walter Avery of the 95th Aero Squadron. Lt. Avery shot down Menckhoff July 26, 1918........It was his first and only victory. Menckhoff has been credited with 46 victories by some sources and 39 by a few others. Either way, this was an embarrassing defeat for the German Ace. After he was downed and taken prisoner, Lt. Avery retrieved the Safety belt and cut away the white "M" from Menckhoff's fuselage. ...................The fabric "M" panel was returned to the Menckhoff family in or about 2007............ This is the belt.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Seatbelt of Carl Menckhoff's Fokker D VII   Seatbelt of Carl Menckhoff's Fokker D VII  

Seatbelt of Carl Menckhoff's Fokker D VII   Seatbelt of Carl Menckhoff's Fokker D VII  

Seatbelt of Carl Menckhoff's Fokker D VII   Seatbelt of Carl Menckhoff's Fokker D VII  

Default Re: Seatbelt of Carl Menckhoff's Fokker D VII

The Story...........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Seatbelt of Carl Menckhoff's Fokker D VII   Seatbelt of Carl Menckhoff's Fokker D VII  

Seatbelt of Carl Menckhoff's Fokker D VII  

Very interesting item. It looks suprising modern. I would never have know it was that kind of age. Wonderfull history behind it.

Cheers, Ade.

You're killing me Dennis (in a good way)! What a piece, and what a story...magnificent!
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Fantastic WWI trophy and a great printed history !

Thanks for sharing it !

Regards,

Steve.

I have to agree with Ade on this. It looks like the waist strap for the 5 point harness out of my race car! Very cool!

Great story...great piece !.....nice to see how pilots safety was starting to evolve in the late stages of the war, as i believe, earlier in the war, most pilots did not have the luxury of such devices !