Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Stirling bomber crash on village

Article about: Visited the new memorial to a crashed Stirling bomber at nearby Tockwith, North Yorkshire. Seven people were killed when the aircraft came down in 1945. Nineteen houses were destroyed and al

Default Stirling bomber crash on village

Visited the new memorial to a crashed Stirling bomber at nearby Tockwith, North Yorkshire. Seven people were killed when the aircraft came down in 1945. Nineteen houses were destroyed and all six crew members and the village Postmaster Arthur Carlill were killed.

It was on a training flight and had been in the air 7 hours when it crashed on approach to RAF Marston Moor ( formally RAF Tockwith. The name was changed due to confusion with nearby RAF Topcliffe). Its only 15 minutes from where I live.

Clark Gable was stationed there for a while !

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stirling bomber crash on village   Stirling bomber crash on village  

Stirling bomber crash on village   Stirling bomber crash on village  

Stirling bomber crash on village   Stirling bomber crash on village  

Stirling bomber crash on village  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

A striking memorial, thanks for highlighting this little known tragedy Nick.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.