Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Taranto 75.

Article about: Hi Guys, Tomorrow is the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Taranto when the Fleet Air Arm successfully attacked the Italian fleet in Taranto Harbour, the first all-aircraft ship-to-ship nava

Default Taranto 75.

Hi Guys,

Tomorrow is the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Taranto when the Fleet Air Arm successfully attacked the Italian fleet in Taranto Harbour, the first all-aircraft ship-to-ship naval attack in history. The Italian's lost half of their capital ships in one night due to this daring attack.

Here's a short film made by the Royal Navy Historic Flight narrated by TV historian Dan Snow that gives a great insight into the raid 75 years ago. Respect.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

thank you Ned.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    thank you Ned.
    No problem H. It's amazing when you look at the old "Stringbag" and realise that the design was completely outdated before the start of the war, yet it outlived some of it's supposed replacements and continued in service throughout the entire conflict. Not only did it do for the Italian fleet at Taranto, 6 months later it also crippled the Bismark enabling the Navy to catch it up and sink it. But on the other side of the coin they were literally shot out of the skies during the ill fated "Channel Dash" (Operation Cerberus) in February 1942 when the flight leader Eugene Esmonde was awarded a posthumous VC.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Very interesting. My first time hearing about it.
    Thank You Ned
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Thumbs up

A timely reminder, many thanks for posting.

One of my favourite moments in any UK airshow is the appearance of the RNHF Swordfish which flies so slowly that you feel you could reach up and pluck it out of the air. The things that were achieved with it in WWII seem absolutely incredible.

It never fails to bring a lump to my throat when, display almost over, it flies past with the crew standing up to salute ....

Taranto 75.

Respect for sure. A obscure part of a history that is good to be reminded of. Thanks for the post Ned.

Steve

Quote by No1canuck View Post
    Respect for sure. A obscure part of a history that is good to be reminded of. Thanks for the post Ned.

Steve
    I'm sure a glass or two of Pusser's rum was raised in more than one wardroom or messdeck in the Royal Navy last night.