Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is there a squadron of Spitfires buried in Birmingham?

Article about: 36 RAF WWII Spitfires have been found perfectly preserved in storage crates in Burma. News story HERE. Get digging boys. I bet there's a couple under the Polish Club.

Default Is there a squadron of Spitfires buried in Birmingham?

36 RAF WWII Spitfires have been found perfectly preserved in storage crates in Burma.

News story HERE.

Get digging boys.

I bet there's a couple under the Polish Club.
    Rise & ReverberateGib mir wieder etwas Schönes

Default Re: Is there a squadron of Spitfires buried in Birmingham?

I remember when I was young that lots of stories used to circulate about buried military hardware and I was always interested as they often mentioned having crated WLA Harley motorcycles in them, though I never heard of one ever actually being found.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Wow, if that is true then that is nothing short of a miracle!

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said: "It is highly improbable Spitfires were buried in Birmingham in the 1950s. We have no evidence of it."

Earlier this year, 62-year-old David Cundall found 36 Spitfires in Burma, after spending 15 years and more than £10,000 searching.

“They were just buried there in transport crates,” Mr Cundall said. “They were waxed, wrapped in greased paper and their joints tarred. They will be in near perfect condition.”

The aircraft will be returned to Britain after Prime Minister David Cameron intervened in favour of their repatriation.
    Typical MOD response.

Quote by stefanr View Post
    Typical MOD response.
    Don't get holding your breath on the 'Burma connection' just yet, never mind the 'Brummagem concoction'.....Serious backpeddling going on over there at the mo.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Yeh, the Burmese have just realised they have an instant airforce without paying for it. Training pilots as we speak.

?

There's supposedly buried tanks here in Malta; Matildas and Vickers Tanks. Wonder what it was with the British and burying their old equipment.

Martin

what about buried tiger tanks in germany,said to be in a cave in the british sector.

Red face Re: Is there a squadron of Spitfires buried in Birmingham?

When I was a 9-10 year old schoolkid, it was a known fact that an almost-complete 'Stuka wreck' was lying on the surface in Epping Forest ( at a secret location, of course ).

It must still be there because no-one's ever found it.............

When I was about 15, my mate (and his dad) knew where there was a crashed German bomber on the Derbyshire moors. It was almost intact. They could never find the time to take me up to see it though, and they couldn't locate the spot on a map either.

There WAS a very nice derelict DC3 (Fairey Aviation painted on the side) at Ringway Airport though (now known as Manchester airport). It was there for years before it was used in a fire fighting exercise.

As for the Spitfires in Burma. I will believe it when I see them lined up. If they are there and they are dug out, it would be nothing short of a miracle to find them in good condition considering the climate in that part of the world.