Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Tokyo raider letter from madam chiang

Article about: I don't think too many of these have survived, so I thought you folks might like to see one. Sorry about my watermark. This came to me from the family of one of Doolittle's Tokyo Raiders. If

?

Default Tokyo raider letter from madam chiang

I don't think too many of these have survived, so I thought you folks might like to see one. Sorry about my watermark. This came to me from the family of one of Doolittle's Tokyo Raiders. If anyone else has Tokyo Raider material, please post it!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tokyo raider letter from madam chiang  

Default Re: Tokyo raider letter from madam chiang

Do you think you could possibly find something a little more esoteric? This is truly a on off item and I would think VERY difficult to find.

Best, DJ

Erick,

This is a fantastic item. I have never seen one of these before. I would be very surprised if another surfaces.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Beast that is a awsome piece of history you have . Gary

?

Great piece of history !! 4 of the last 8 raiders were in Dayton Ohio at the National Museum of the United States Air Force today . They also had a B-25 fly in also with 17 planes .
    Dave

?

Thanks guys! I corresponded with Carroll Glines who, besides being author of several of the Doolittle raid histories, is also curator of the Doolittle Library at the University of Texas. They did not have a copy in their collection and he had not seen one.

Dennis, I'll try harder to find something a little bit more unusual next time. But as you are the king of rare and esoteric, I'll never be able to match you!

?

I have the A2 jacket that Travis Hoover wore on the April 17th, 1942 mission. I also have pictures of him holding it and pointing to the spot where they removed their name tags.
    Travis and I were friends towards the end of his life. I really liked him. He was living in Joplin, Missouri before Alsheimers got him. A damned fine man. I am tired at the moment and do not have time to photograph the jacket. I will be extremely busy for the next 8 weeks with personal business. When all that is done I will photograph the jacket and scann the photos of him holding the jacket when he gave it to me.
    I have a photo of the 50th reunion plaque he had that I now own already on disc. Here it is.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tokyo raider letter from madam chiang  

?

Quote by SteveR View Post
    I have the A2 jacket that Travis Hoover wore on the April 17th, 1942 mission. I also have pictures of him holding it and pointing to the spot where they removed their name tags.
    Travis and I were friends towards the end of his life. I really liked him. He was living in Joplin, Missouri before Alsheimers got him. A damned fine man. I am tired at the moment and do not have time to photograph the jacket. I will be extremely busy for the next 8 weeks with personal business. When all that is done I will photograph the jacket and scann the photos of him holding the jacket when he gave it to me.
    I have a photo of the 50th reunion plaque he had that I now own already on disc. Here it is.
    Wow, I would love to see that jacket! I spoke with COL Hoover a few times and you are correct, he was a damned fine man.

Look forward to hearing more of you memories of COL Hoover, especially of his insights of the raid.