Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection

Article about: by CThomas Here's another example of this souvenir piece but this time 'France' is etched onto the scroll. I've posted several detailed shots so you can get a better idea as to manufacturing

Default Re: U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection

Steve-
    While I'm at it, I figured I would post a better scan of the piece you pointed out. It didn't come out that well in the overall shot.
    I don't know what this pin is...sweetheart? Official/unofficial piece of insignia?
    As you well know, this particular design saw very limited use (what was it... a few months???). Then the Air Service adopted the much more familiar winged prop. Why, oh why, do so many variants exist of this design when it was only authorized for such a brief period of use?
    -Chuck
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection   U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection  

Are you still after that enlisted wing?
    You better know it.

One another note, what's that I see below the pin you pointed out? Hmmm???
    Well, that little fellow certainly doesn't speak English or French...

Chuck,

Thanks for the close up shot. I recall that the winged globe was used for only 80 days. I tend to think that perhaps a lot of the pieces we see (like the one above) are sweetheart or gentleman's lapel items made from the "defunct" surplus of globe insignia...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

I am a bit late on this but very nice examples!

Cheers
    John

Quote by John Cooper View Post
    I am a bit late on this but very nice examples!

Cheers
    John
    John-
    No you're not. Thanks!

Steve-
    Thanks for confirming the time line on the design...

Here's another example for you all that show the winged globe insignia on what I take to be a tie clip.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection   U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection  

A most impressive and may I say attractive collection!

One of my collecting goals is a display from WW1 to WW2 and maybe into the USAF period of collar insignia, cap badges, and wing examples. I always seem to get out bid when items come up

Once again another interesting photo posted Thanks!
    John

Quote by John Cooper View Post
    I always seem to get out bid when items come up
    John
    And you lose most to Chuck because you are cheap my friend...and because Chuck has more money that you and I put together.

BTW...as a personal favor, why don't you post that boisterous wing you did win that you and I chatted about for endless hours a while back?
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Money? Does someone here have money? I sure don't! Our Uncle Sam doesn't pay me enough to acquire half the aviation goodies I'm after. I still need to add a bona fide aviator uniform to my collection. I've got enlisted covered. I just need a nice ID'd officer's uniform. Maybe one will do. OK...two, maybe three. Why stop there!?

Gary-
    Thank you!

Mr. Cooper-
    Have you been keeping an eye out on Ebay? There was one nice 'stubby' wing enlisted disc that recently popped up for sale on that site which, in my humble opinion, sold for pennies on the dollar.

Not to kick a man when he's down but this matching set was a recent Ebay purchase. Whomever sold them did not do the listing justice. My first impression was he's selling a single but when I read his description, I noticed it was for a set. Not only does he bury this little factoid deep in his description but he also never photographed the set together, giving a visual cue that the auction was indeed for a set.

They are a classic example of the Air Service officer's winged globe variant collar insignia. Not much more I can add here...
    Enjoy!

Whew, Gettin' a little touchy are we?

Glad I got out of the insignia a while ago.

DJ

Dennis-
    I hope that didn't come across wrong. I was only being facetious...

I'm more inclined to direct people to an auction or item they're after rather than snatch it for myself. It's definitely not my style to be greedy.

Most of what you guys see here was basically acquired from two large collections of such insignia. The rest dribbled in over the last two years.

-Chuck

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast