MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection

Article about: by CThomas Here's another example of this souvenir piece but this time 'France' is etched onto the scroll. I've posted several detailed shots so you can get a better idea as to manufacturing

Default Re: U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection

Quote by CThomas View Post
    Here's another example of this souvenir piece but this time 'France' is etched onto the scroll. I've posted several detailed shots so you can get a better idea as to manufacturing methods. Notice too the silver hallmarks on the clasp.
    The quality of the hardware on this piece is superior to most full size wings of the time. If you notice, the end of the pin on the hinge side actually is pressed through a hole in the hinge and then soldered. I believe this to be of German occupation manufacture also, and yes, this type of hardware is found on Imperial state awards. Superb...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Steve-
    Thanks for your input here. I was hoping you would comment on the hardware

Here is a neat disc I believe to be French manufactured. As far as I know, the American industry did not produce that style propeller. I have a similar designed prop that I know was manufactured in France. Notice the wing detail, especially along the top edge where a point flares up a fraction of an inch from the wing tip. I looked through my collection but did not notice this little detail on any of my other discs, or officer insignia for that matter.

I also like the beveled edge. That is a neat feature not usually encountered on discs.

I would like to call your attention to the pin catch on back. This style of open "C" design was used by various manufacturers throughout the war, and postwar periods. It was not an exclusive European feature on collar discs. I have seen many descriptions where this style catch was present & the individual immediately claimed "French manufacture". Simply not so....

It is unknown at this time what that extra pin is on back. Maybe for a veteran reunion ribbon? Pin back to a medal or award?

-Chuck
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection   U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection  

U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection  

Chuck - your discription really shows your eye for detail! As for the purpose of the extra pin my first guess was for a Veteran but I guess it could be that it was given to a family member or sweetheart to pin on? Just another guess on my part.

John

Quote by John Cooper View Post
    Chuck - your discription really shows your eye for detail! As for the purpose of the extra pin my first guess was for a Veteran but I guess it could be that it was given to a family member or sweetheart to pin on? Just another guess on my part.

John
    Thank you, John. It is my passion after all

I appreciate the feedback on the pin. It does sort of remind me of the style pin that would have been used on a 'sweetheart' piece. You can also see an area along the base of this extra pin where it was once soldered to a badge, medal, etc....

Regards,
    Chuck

Good morning to all!

Here are three pieces for the aviation buff. First one is a typical 'sweetheart' badge with gilt finish & a Son In Service enameled flag mounted over the federal shield.

The next piece is the exact same design but in subdued finish & with the letters "U.S" superimposed across the shield. This wing I believe was specifically made for the aviator to wear on his OS cap. You can see a similar example featured on pg. 57 (#76) of Campbell's book on aviation insignia. It was the author's opinion this design was marketed in 1917.

The last example has the "U.S" manufactured into the federal shield design.

All three badges measure 1.5" across & employ a simple open catch design on back.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection   U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection  

U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection   U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection  

U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection   U.S. Air Service Collar Insignia Collection  

?

Quote by CThomas View Post
    Here is a neat disc I believe to be French manufactured. As far as I know, the American industry did not produce that style propeller. I have a similar designed prop that I know was manufactured in France. Notice the wing detail, especially along the top edge where a point flares up a fraction of an inch from the wing tip. I looked through my collection but did not notice this little detail on any of my other discs, or officer insignia for that matter.

I also like the beveled edge. That is a neat feature not usually encountered on discs.

I would like to call your attention to the pin catch on back. This style of open "C" design was used by various manufacturers throughout the war, and postwar periods. It was not an exclusive European feature on collar discs. I have seen many descriptions where this style catch was present & the individual immediately claimed "French manufacture". Simply not so....

It is unknown at this time what that extra pin is on back. Maybe for a veteran reunion ribbon? Pin back to a medal or award?

-Chuck
    Chuck,

Your attention to detail on this is incredible! Must be from all of that sign cutting!

Thanks for the kudos!

Maybe not collar insignia but I find it equally fascinating.

An enlisted aviator sweetheart piece. It is tiny at barely 1/2" across. Two of these popped up on Ebay recently & I was lucky to grab one.

-Chuck

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4