Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ugliest Original WWI French Made US Wing Ever...

Article about: This wing is by far, the ugliest, ill-proportioned French made wing I have ever seen. I normally don't like to discuss what I paid for an item, but in this case, I will divulge...\\$39.95 on e

Default Re: Ugliest Original WWI French Made US Wing Ever...

Quote by iron cross View Post
    Hi Steven I do notice the poor difference of these two wings and I am sorry no one who knows more about these has commented.
    Well, at least I know that my posts are at least viewable by others! Thank you for your kindness and taking the time to post, maybe someone who collects in this area will post soon (saying prayer). While the bullion style is consistent with French work, the size of that shield really blows me away...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Brindlereo
    ?

While mine are not as UGLY as yours.

They show similar construction

Didnt want you to feel lonely.

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ugliest Original WWI French Made US Wing Ever...  

Quote by Brindlereo View Post
    While mine are not as UGLY as yours.

They show similar construction

Didnt want you to feel lonely.

Mark
    Hi Mark, thanks for the "company" and for the very detailed close up...mine is indeed as ugly as a red-headed stepchild in form, but in construction, ours are very beautifully detailed. Between the two of us, were going to have to try to figure out for sure what the story is on this wing design. I'm sure that you have probably looked yours over as much as I have mine and observed the same intricate details in hand. All of these wings, took a LOT of time to construct entirely by hand; I can't imagine sitting for hours threading tiny sequins and bullion wire...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Brindlereo
    ?

Air Service, Military Aeronautics......................A.S.A (had to add the periods to avoid Allgemeine Sturmabzeichen

The Division of Military Aeronautics, also termed the Division of Military Aeronautics and Bureau of Aircraft Production (as both were created as "coordinate components" of the air arm by the same executive order), was the name of the Army's aviation organization for a brief period during World War I, and therefore also an antecedent of the United States Air Force.

The failure of the Aircraft Production Board and the Aviation Section, U.S. Signal Corps to meet aircraft production goals for the establishment of an adequate air combat force in France by the summer of 1918 forced the administration of President Woodrow Wilson to overhaul the bureaucratic structure of military aviation. On May 20, 1918, by Executive Order 2862, issued under authority of the Overman Act signed into law that date, the Aviation Section was discontinued and military aviation was removed from the Signal Corps and made the responsibility of the Division of Military Aeronautics (DMA). The DMA was headed by the Director of Military Aeronautics, reporting directly to the Secretary of War, Newton Baker. The Aircraft Production Board was replaced at the same time by a Bureau of Aircraft Production (BAP), headed by a civilian director, John D. Ryan, formerly president of Anaconda Copper, who had been appointed Director of Aircraft Production on April 28.

However, after just four days a new United States Army Air Service was created and took over responsibility for administration, training, aircraft requirements, personnel, and facilities from the Division of Military Aeronautics and absorbed it into its structure.

From what I have gathered about the A.S.A, it was a short lived organization (4 days) So maybe this is an extremely rare set made in France. It appears to be of the same construction as your french made wings.

The other A.S.A. (civilian) aviation organization was founded in 1947, and I believe these wings to be Great War period.

Mark

Mark,

Fascinating information, and actually it answers more questions than I had hoped for in relation to the Signal Corp! In my searching, I could only come up with the organization that you cited that was founded in 1947, but I knew that wasn't it. Very good bit of work there, and very helpful. I agree with you about your wings being VERY rare examples of an extremely short-lived organization. I wouldn't imagine that there are very many examples out there.

BTW...Please feel free if you desire, to start a thread dedicated to this short-lived organization featuring your wings. I think they deserve a dedicated thread as this information is too important to be obscured within a semi-related posting. If you decide to do so, I would like to pin it for a while so that it can be shared with others as well.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Brindlereo
    ?

I will work on that over the next few days and post what I have found along with citation. Since most of this work was done by others.

Cant take the credit.

Mark

?

Steve,
    Is it the lighting from the camera or is there a red, white and blue tint to the wings? I see it mostly on the wing to the viewers left. Either that or I am awake way too early for a holiday!

Quote by BEAST View Post
    Steve,
    Is it the lighting from the camera or is there a red, white and blue tint to the wings? I see it mostly on the wing to the viewers left. Either that or I am awake way too early for a holiday!
    Hi Erick,

No white, or blue, but there is some deep red/maroon thread in the shoulder portion. The reason you see (and I do to in the photo) blue and white is because that first shot is awful. I think I over adjusted for contrast and sharpness.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Just a note for posterity...I performed the burn test on a thread removed from the material backing. The result = cotton , no polyester; a very good sign. For those not familiar with this test. if a thread or portion of the material burns and disintegrates into ash, then this indicates 100% cotton - a good sign as that is what you want to see.

However, if the substance crumples up into a hard ball that cannot be crushed, then this indicates polyester is present - indicating post war material. Polyester was invented in the UK in the late 1940's.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hi Steve,

I am sorry it took so long to find this thread but I have been up at the air races and not keeping up with the forums... but I have not seen one like that ever. I agree that it is a good original one but boy that really is fugly. As regards the gold color, I have a couple of pieces of early (pre 1900) French insignia that started silver and tarnished gold, maybe that is what happened here?

Cheers
    Gary

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast