Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Ugliest Original WWI French Made US Wing Ever...

Article about: This wing is by far, the ugliest, ill-proportioned French made wing I have ever seen. I normally don't like to discuss what I paid for an item, but in this case, I will divulge...\\$39.95 on e

Default Re: Ugliest Original WWI French Made US Wing Ever...

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    Hi Steve,

I am sorry it took so long to find this thread but I have been up at the air races and not keeping up with the forums... but I have not seen one like that ever. I agree that it is a good original one but boy that really is fugly. As regards the gold color, I have a couple of pieces of early (pre 1900) French insignia that started silver and tarnished gold, maybe that is what happened here?

Cheers
    Gary

Hi Gary,

I am very glad to have your input, thanks. John Cooper said he remembers seeing a photo with a wing just like this one somewhere, perhaps in "The New England Aviators". Hopefully, he will remember where he has seen a period photo of this wing and forward it to me. It would be very nice to see the kind of fellow who would have worn something so gawd-awful.

As far as the color, I have studied it very close from every angle, even trying to lift the "S" side of the insignia to see if I could see some silvering underneath, but I can't as the clasp is literally embedded in between the bullion. If it is discoloration (which it may very well be), it is not uniform throughout.

In comparison to the Wingate wing, the silver washers forming the wing have not toned gold (nor has the rest of the wing) as have the ones on the ugly wing. If the color has turned with age, it is very odd that some elements of the wing are clearly still silver.
    Last edited by Steven M; 09-15-2009 at 09:46 PM.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hi Steve,

Actually the multiple colors does not surprise me in the least as you have 6 different types of bullion I believe you said? That is at least three different makers in all probability if not 6 different, so they use different alloys and blends to get their desired product.
    I went through my New England Aviators books and Raymond Clyde Taylor has a somewhat similar wing (page 147 of Volume 1)
    as does Leo Bernard Couchon (page 57 of Volume 2).

They are pictured below for those who don't have the books.

As you can see they each have a couple of the design elements whereas your has all of them to wonderfully harmonious conclusion.......sort of..

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Hi Gary,

I am very glad to have your input, thanks. John Cooper said he remembers seeing a photo with a wing just like this one somewhere, perhaps in "The New England Aviators". Hopefully, he will remember where he has seen a period photo of this wing and forward it to me. It would be very nice to see the kind of fellow who would have worn something so gawd-awful.

As far as the color, I have studied it very close from every angle, even trying to lift the "S" side of the insignia to see if I could see some silvering underneath, but I can't as the clasp is literally embedded in between the bullion. If it is discoloration (which it may very well be), it is not uniform throughout.

In comparison to the Wingate wing, the silver washers forming the wing have not toned gold (nor has the rest of the wing) as have the ones on the ugly wing. If the color has turned with age, it is very odd that some elements of the wing are clearly still silver.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ugliest Original WWI French Made US Wing Ever...   Ugliest Original WWI French Made US Wing Ever...  

Ugliest Original WWI French Made US Wing Ever...   Ugliest Original WWI French Made US Wing Ever...  

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    Hi Steve,

Actually the multiple colors does not surprise me in the least as you have 6 different types of bullion I believe you said? That is at least three different makers in all probability if not 6 different, so they use different alloys and blends to get their desired product.
    I went through my New England Aviators books and Raymond Clyde Taylor has a somewhat similar wing (page 147 of Volume 1)
    as does Leo Bernard Couchon (page 57 of Volume 2).

They are pictured below for those who don't have the books.

As you can see they each have a couple of the design elements whereas your has all of them to wonderfully harmonious conclusion.......sort of..

Gary,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to look. It is MOST appreciated. I recently ordered the two volume set and they should be here any day now.What you say about the different types of bullion is very logical and makes sense now that you point that out. Again, thanks for the photos, it is great to see very similar period examples in wear!
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

16 years ago, my home was burglarized for my avaition wing collection. To date none have ever been recovered. Of the 38 metallic WWI US wings and a dozen bullion types, my WWI wAxis and Ally wing collection and my huge WWII US wing collect0ion (specializing in rare US makers, Australian and British makers), I have never had the heart to start over.

However, the wing you have illustrated is certainly an interesting piece. I had always wanted to find the type you have on your uniform as I love odd shaped things. The wing you bought on ebay reminds me of the souvenir type wings I had seen for US WWI fliers. they were made in France,, as well as in Texas and Mexico. I don't know who made it, but it surely is fitting in any advanced WWI US wing collection.

Bob Hritz

Quote by Bob Hritz View Post
    16 years ago, my home was burglarized for my avaition wing collection. To date none have ever been recovered. Of the 38 metallic WWI US wings and a dozen bullion types, my WWI wAxis and Ally wing collection and my huge WWII US wing collect0ion (specializing in rare US makers, Australian and British makers), I have never had the heart to start over.

However, the wing you have illustrated is certainly an interesting piece. I had always wanted to find the type you have on your uniform as I love odd shaped things. The wing you bought on ebay reminds me of the souvenir type wings I had seen for US WWI fliers. they were made in France,, as well as in Texas and Mexico. I don't know who made it, but it surely is fitting in any advanced WWI US wing collection.

Bob Hritz

Hi Bob,

Reading what happened to your collection made me get a knot in my stomach...that is awful.

I must say that until I purchased this tunic from Dennis, I had never seen a wing like that before, it is quite beautiful and unusual. As you do, I have a certain affinity for the odd and unusual pieces. Thank you very much for adding your thoughts and information as well to this posting.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Anyone else have any experience with this type of wing...perhaps have/had one like it in their collection?

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3