MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC

Article about: Indeed! Post more by all means!!! Gary

Default The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC

The following are a few photos of one of the premier groups in my collection. They are the uniforms, medals, photographs and ephemera of an American volunteer that flew with RAF 74 Squadron during WWI. If there is any interest I will post more photos.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC   The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC  

The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC   The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC  

The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC   The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC  

Default Re: The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC

nice group, do you have any pics of the inside of your headgear

I would love to see and hear more!

Cheers, Ade.

Super!!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

is that one hat french?

Quote by gooseandspoons View Post
    nice group, do you have any pics of the inside of your headgear
    Sure thing, here you go. It was made by Burberrys.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC   The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC  

is that one hat french?
    Yes it is,,it was given to my pilot by a french officer he was a POW with. My pilot was shot down and captured in June of 1918. I have a photo of my pilot actually wearing that hat in POW camp and I have a photo of the french officer that gave it to him.

By the way, the cuff-rank tunic he is wearing is the same one in the photos above. That is the tunic he was wearing when he was shot down.

very nice group! and they look in great condition. so how long did he fly for the RAF after the war?

very nice group! and they look in great condition. so how long did he fly for the RAF after the war?
    He didn't. He was a POW from June till November of 1918. Released and repatriated back to England. He took leave and was released from service in the spring of 1919 while he was back in the States. (He had to go to Canada to finalize his paperwork.) The RAF tunic is the "green" RAF uniform that was introduced in the spring/summer of 1918 when the RFC and the RNAF were combined to form the RAF. The 'green" uniform was phased out by 1919.

Quote by Croix de Guerre View Post
    He didn't. He was a POW from June till November of 1918. Released and repatriated back to England. He took leave and was released from service in the spring of 1919 while he was back in the States. (He had to go to Canada to finalize his paperwork.) The RAF tunic is the "green" RAF uniform that was introduced in the spring/summer of 1918 when the RFC and the RNAF were combined to form the RAF. The 'green" uniform was phased out by 1919.
    Tom,

this will be (is) a true stunner - If you decide to post more, folks will really be amazed. Goood One!

DJ

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast