Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC

Article about: Indeed! Post more by all means!!! Gary

Default Re: The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Naughty boy...but I don't blame you Tom. I say this with all seriousness, although there are some stellar examples of aviation history posted here, other than Rheno's group, I can't think of a more complete, meaningful grouping that "has it all". I NEVER tire of seeing and reading about Tommy.
    Thanks Steve, I appreciate and value your comments.

Close up of the metal wing on the cuff of the RAF uniform

The Thomson home in Craig, Missouri (This is pasted in the Bible his mother gave to him before he left for training.)

Tommy and his brother Everett when he came home for Christmas leave after training in Texas.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC   The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC  

Tom-
    At one time, you were talking about publishing a story on Thomson's experience. How's that coming along? There's no doubt you've got some wonderful history here that could easily translate into an article (at minimum...). Have you tried contacting an editor from Over The Front? I'm sure they'd welcome his story.

-Chuck

Quote by CThomas View Post
    Tom-
    At one time, you were talking about publishing a story on Thomson's experience. How's that coming along? There's no doubt you've got some wonderful history here that could easily translate into an article (at minimum...). Have you tried contacting an editor from Over The Front? I'm sure they'd welcome his story.

-Chuck
    Chuck,

I'm still working on the book but work and the baby (s) are taking up most of my time. If I'm not too exhausted, I try and work a little each night for an hour or so. I'd be open to talking to some one at Over The Front, but I guess I need to at least subscribe first.

Here are a couple of modern photos of one of the POW camps Tommy stayed in. Fort Prinz Karl in Ingolstat, Germany. It was from this fort that one of his fellow POW's made a daring escape, only to be caught a few days later.
    The documents are an example of the wonderful paperwork preserved in the Thomson grouping. These are official POW food parcel guide lines for families wishing to mail food to their loved ones in prison. Interesting don't you think?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC   The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC  

Attached Images Attached Images The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC 

Wouldn't it be great to be able to walk the grounds of that prison, knowing that Tommy was there...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Wouldn't it be great to be able to walk the grounds of that prison, knowing that Tommy was there...
    I hope to some day,,maybe I can get a book publisher to pay for it!

Quote by Croix de Guerre View Post
    I hope to some day,,maybe I can get a book publisher to pay for it!
    That would be the way to go! By the way Tom, do you know if the prison is currently a war memorial or is it being used in any capacity? It looks like it is very well preserved and taken care of....mowed roof and all.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Tom,

The quality of your posts are amazing and much appreciated. What a group - By the way, Brewer's gunner, Harry Wershiner's grand daughter contacted me!

Hooh Raah,

DJ

Quote by Belleauwood View Post
    Tom,

The quality of your posts are amazing and much appreciated. What a group - By the way, Brewer's gunner, Harry Wershiner's grand daughter contacted me!

Hooh Raah,

DJ
    Fantastic!

Tom-
    I think I have pictures of this fort within the OGW collection. I know I have images of forts Friedrich Karl, Kaiserin, Kronprinz, Plappeville etc...but no luck just yet on a 'Prinz Karl'. There are several photos of such fortresses within this collection that have yet to be ID'd. I wonder if Prinz Karl isn't among them. The thing is, they all look very much alike, with a few differences here/there.

-Chuck

Postcards of the POW Camp at Karlsruhe. (Nice of the Germans to make postcards of the camp don't you think?)

Fellow POWs at Karlsruhe Kreigsgenfangenlager

The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC   The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC  

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast