Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnam: Merle Floyd Butler, II Warrant Officer 176TH AHC, 14TH AVN BN, 16TH AVN GROUP, AMERICAL DIV, USARV

Article about: This is the only Vietnam War era medal that I had the honor of caring for. How very tragic the loss of such a young man...and on his first mission. Merle Floyd Butler II Warrant Officer PERS

Arrow Vietnam: Merle Floyd Butler, II Warrant Officer 176TH AHC, 14TH AVN BN, 16TH AVN GROUP, AMERICAL DIV, USARV

This is the only Vietnam War era medal that I had the honor of caring for. How very tragic the loss of such a young man...and on his first mission.

Merle Floyd Butler II
    Warrant Officer

PERSONAL DATA
    Home of Record: Lakewood, NY
    Date of birth: 12/09/1947

MILITARY DATA
    Service: Army of the United States
    Grade at loss: W1
    ID No: W3162950
    MOS: 062B: Helicopter Pilot, Utility and Light Cargo Single Rotor
    Length Service: 01
    Unit: 176TH AHC, 14TH AVN BN, 16TH AVN GROUP, AMERICAL DIV, USARV

CASUALTY DATA
    Start Tour: 11/13/1968
    Casualty Date: 02/24/1969
    Incident Date: 02/24/1969
    Age at Loss: 21
    Remains: Body recovered
    Casualty Type: Hostile, died outright
    Casualty Reason: Helicopter - Crew

ON THE WALL Panel 31W Line 032
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam: Merle Floyd Butler, II Warrant Officer 176TH AHC, 14TH AVN BN, 16TH AVN GROUP, AMERICAL DIV, USARV  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Vietnam: Merle Floyd Butler, II Warrant Officer 176TH AHC, 14TH AVN BN, 16TH AVN GROUP, AMERICAL DIV, USARV

Helicopter UH-1D 63-12999

Information on U.S. Army helicopter UH-1D tail number 63-12999
    The Army purchased this helicopter 1164
    Total flight hours at this point: 00001758
    Date: 02/24/1969
    Incident number: 69022444.KIA
    Unit: 176 AHC
    South Vietnam
    UTM grid coordinates: BT300151
    Original source(s) and document(s) from which the incident was created or updated: Defense Intelligence Agency Helicopter Loss database. Also: OPERA (Operations Report. )
    Loss to Inventory

Crew Members:
    AC WO1 MCALLISTER ANGUS W JR KIA
    P WO1 BUTLER MERLE FLOYD II KIA
    CE SP5 FORD RICHARD WAYNE KIA
    G SP4 BAILEY JON KIA
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Vietnam: Merle Floyd Butler, II Warrant Officer 176TH AHC, 14TH AVN BN, 16TH AVN GROUP, AMERICAL DIV, USARV

Quote by Steven M View Post
    This is the only Vietnam War era medal that I had the honor of caring for. How very tragic the loss of such a young man...and on his first mission.

Merle Floyd Butler II
    Warrant Officer

PERSONAL DATA
    Home of Record: Lakewood, NY
    Date of birth: 12/09/1947

MILITARY DATA
    Service: Army of the United States
    Grade at loss: W1
    ID No: W3162950
    MOS: 062B: Helicopter Pilot, Utility and Light Cargo Single Rotor
    Length Service: 01
    Unit: 176TH AHC, 14TH AVN BN, 16TH AVN GROUP, AMERICAL DIV, USARV

CASUALTY DATA
    Start Tour: 11/13/1968
    Casualty Date: 02/24/1969
    Incident Date: 02/24/1969
    Age at Loss: 21
    Remains: Body recovered
    Casualty Type: Hostile, died outright
    Casualty Reason: Helicopter - Crew

ON THE WALL Panel 31W Line 032
    Steve,
    Very nice tribute to a young aviator. May he rest in peace.

Terry

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Steve,
    Very nice tribute to a young aviator. May he rest in peace.

Terry
    Thank you Major. I though this Heart would be a little extra special for you to see because of the MOS.

Needless to say, I am grateful that your name is not honored on the Vietnam Memorial Wall...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]