Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Bullion Enlisted Aviator Wing

Article about: Many years ago I was honored to be a guest at the Univ of Texas Aviation Research Library. While brousing through their mountains of books and documents I noticed a brown paper bag setting i

Default WW1 Bullion Enlisted Aviator Wing

Many years ago I was honored to be a guest at the Univ of Texas Aviation Research Library. While brousing through their mountains of books and documents I noticed a brown paper bag setting in the corner of the room. When I opened it I found a crumpled summer weight uniform with moth eaten early white Sgt stripes, above the stripes was sewn a beautiful bullion enlisted aviator wing. I asked what the history was on this uniform and was told that in the mid 60's an elderly lady walked into the main office and confronted the secretary. She said she had her husbands uniform and wanted to give it to the Univ. The secretary informed her that the curator was out and if she would come back after lunch he would be very pleased to meet and work with her. She left the bag and uniform on the desk and said she would be back. She did not come back and as a result the name of the pilot was never obtained, but I suspect he was out of one of the surrounding airfields like Love Field or Ellington Field etc. I asked if they would consider parting with it and they said they were interested in books, documents and photos and not uniforms so a trade would be considered. I offered a couple photo albums and a bunch of documents which they were very pleased with so they got the paper I got the uniform and both were very happy campers.

I have never seen another bullion enlisted aviator wing until a few days ago when one popped up on e-bay. My first thought was that someone had copied the one I had pictured in my book, but when I looked at the pic in the book I realized that no one could copy that wing because the picture was of such poor quality. I studied it in great detail and determined that it was a twin to the one I obtained from the Univ years earlier. So it is now coming home to be with its sister.

Attached are pic of the uniform and wing obtained years ago and a pic of the new addition bullion enlisted aviator wing.

Terry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Bullion Enlisted Aviator Wing   WW1 Bullion Enlisted Aviator Wing  

WW1 Bullion Enlisted Aviator Wing  
    Attached Images Attached Images WW1 Bullion Enlisted Aviator Wing 

?

Default Re: WW1 Bullion Enlisted Aviator Wing

Wow! Both are really nice! Are there any identifying marks in the uniform? Initials, maybe?

Default Re: WW1 Bullion Enlisted Aviator Wing

Beast,
    Thanks, haven't been able to find any id marks. I hope someday to find a pic of an enlisted aviator with this wing on his arm.

Terry