Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 German Flight Helmet

Article about: Good Evening / Morning Ladies and Gentlemen A question if I could. I have found this Flight Helmet and am in somewhat of a quandry. I have wanted a hardshell Flight Helmet for sometime now.

Default WW1 German Flight Helmet

Good Evening / Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

A question if I could.

I have found this Flight Helmet and am in somewhat of a quandry. I have wanted a hardshell Flight Helmet for sometime now.

As there are a number of fakes out and about, and as it is rather pricey I would appreciate any input that you may have.

I am told that the damage from to the neck piece is probably from storage - it certainly does not look to be overly worn - and has the stamps: Flg.Bekl., Döberitz, 1918.

I think my main concern is the liner condition as opposed to that of the inside of the shell - which to me - looks older.

Any new eyes and all that!

Below are some photos that I found in the Forum from jaba1914 when he posted his in 2010 - I hope this is OK....

WW1 German Flight HelmetWW1 German Flight HelmetWW1 German Flight Helmet

I am also attaching a Flight Helmet from Kaiser's Bunker (interestingly enough with the same markings - which to me look identical - notice the '8'):

WW1 German Flight HelmetWW1 German Flight HelmetWW1 German Flight Helmet

Finally, here are the pictures from the Seller of the helmet I'm looking at:

WW1 German Flight HelmetWW1 German Flight HelmetWW1 German Flight HelmetWW1 German Flight HelmetWW1 German Flight HelmetWW1 German Flight HelmetWW1 German Flight HelmetWW1 German Flight HelmetWW1 German Flight Helmet

I thank you for your time.

Cheers
    Tim

Edit: Hmm - not sure what I did but I can't seem to enlarge them as I would normally...

Edit 2: Let's try that again - hopefully this will work - this is the helmet I'm interested in! I have noticed that this helmet has 9 fingered liner and the others have 10 - is this a concern?

WW1 German Flight HelmetWW1 German Flight HelmetWW1 German Flight HelmetWW1 German Flight HelmetWW1 German Flight HelmetWW1 German Flight HelmetWW1 German Flight Helmet
    Last edited by Allegra; 04-23-2014 at 03:40 AM.

?

Very nice hard to find helmet.

it looks correct

Gentlemen

Thank you for your replies - better photos now attached...the helmet I'm looking at has a 9 fingered liner and the other examples have 10 - is this something to be worried about?

Cheers
    Tim

Hi Tim, agree with all the above comments .....very nice helmet and well marked inside.Here are a few photo's from Mick Prodgers book,(which is a must for the early flight head gear collector)............Dave H
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German Flight Helmet   WW1 German Flight Helmet  

WW1 German Flight Helmet   WW1 German Flight Helmet  

Hi Dave

Many thanks for the reply. I actually have the book...but forgot to look at it prior to posting.

There are times that I astound myself with with my stupidity.

Cheers
    Tim