Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross

Article about: Gents, I'm completely awestruck on seeing that Marine Corps Aviation Grouping and the effort put in to find out more about his Gunner. Well Done! Regards, Joel

?

Default Re: WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross

What adjective can you use to describe this group? Neat? Rare? OMG?!?!

I can't even begin to say how great of a group this is! The best I can come up with is thank you for sharing this piece of history!

One more reason to come down to see me this summer.

Quote by Croix de Guerre View Post
    One more reason to come down to see me this summer.
    TOM!!!!!! The gang is back together at last... ......
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Dennis-
    This is truly a unique grouping that I can really appreciate. Wow. Classic DJ all the way!
    There was one of those USMC aviator pins recently for sale on Ebay. Did you happen to see it? The pin I'm referring to shows the eagle surmounted on a aviation roundel, with the roundel being pierced by an anchor. The eagle has the banner SEMPER FIDELIS in its beak. Was this worn during the war or was it a post-armistice veteran's piece?

-Chuck

Quote by CThomas View Post
    Dennis-
    This is truly a unique grouping that I can really appreciate. Wow. Classic DJ all the way!
    There was one of those USMC aviator pins recently for sale on Ebay. Did you happen to see it? The pin I'm referring to shows the eagle surmounted on a aviation roundel, with the roundel being pierced by an anchor. The eagle has the banner SEMPER FIDELIS in its beak. Was this worn during the war or was it a post-armistice veteran's piece?

-Chuck
    Chuck, I did indeed see it. A friend was selling it. The pin signifies membership in the First Marine Aviation Veterans Association. Brewer's effects from his widow contained one of the pins. I also have another that I picked up with some neat aviation pins some time back.....Again, thanks for the kind words.

DJ

Sweet group Dennis! I didnt realize you had the uniform too!! Really outstanding!

Dennis-
    You bet.

This is one of those collections that I'd love to go over with you (in person) so that I may better understand the contents & the details contained within. It would be a distinct pleasure to study this rare grouping & improve my knowledge on USMC aviation during the World War.

-Chuck

Quote by Belleauwood View Post
    Chuck, I did indeed see it. A friend was selling it. The pin signifies membership in the First Marine Aviation Veterans Association. Brewer's effects from his widow contained one of the pins. I also have another that I picked up with some neat aviation pins some time back.....Again, thanks for the kind words.

DJ

Quote by Chris L View Post
    Sweet group Dennis! I didnt realize you had the uniform too!! Really outstanding!
    Chris,

Yes, I do have his uniform. The pants and jacket are unlike any Marine officer's garmet I've ever seen. It is not the typical gabardine wool but the course enlisted uniform wool but perhaps twicce as thick an very stiff overall. It's drop dead mint and gorgeous. ............ and Chuck........come on over, take a look!

DJ

Dennis-
    I'll have to. Sorry I didn't get the chance to do it last year. I will be over that way this summer for a vintage air show in Pennsylvania. Maybe I could finagle an extra day or two from our vacation time to visit you. I'll have to do some smooooth talking with the Mrs...

-Chuck

I have been looking for ANYONE with information on Lt. Brewer's Observer/Gunner, Harry Wershiner and the 5 year search has finally bore some fruit. A family member has surfaced to my absolute surprise.... Proof that if you look long and hard enough, with a TON of luck, you SOMETIMES get lucky..... Sgt. Wershiner's uniform is some RARE puppy. ONLY photographic evidence I've ever seen of an enlisted Marine Observer wearing a wing; and a Brit one at that!!... Makes perfect sense, considering they were attached to the British 218 Bombing Squadron. Check out the Glengarry Overseas Hat. I can't be more thankful to the family member who took the time to provide me these images. What a reunion! - - This is the second pilot / observer grouping that I have had the good fortune to reunite, however small. DAMN FUN!!

DJ
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross   WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross  

WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross   WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross  

WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross   WW1 Marine Pilot / 2 Victories / Navy Cross  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast