Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI: PVT McIntyre Med Dept Aviation Section

Article about: After seeing the quality of items posted by HAWK3370, Steven M and others here, I hesitate to post this meager group. The soldier wasn't an Ace, wasn't even a pilot and actually never went o

?

Default WWI: PVT McIntyre Med Dept Aviation Section

After seeing the quality of items posted by HAWK3370, Steven M and others here, I hesitate to post this meager group. The soldier wasn't an Ace, wasn't even a pilot and actually never went overseas, but he did give his life for his country and for that I thought he should be remembered.

Richard T. McIntyre was botn on September 10, 1891 on a farm north of Ambia, Indiana. He entered the Army on March 29th, 1918 and was assigned to Kelly Field in San Antonio Texas. He was assigned to the Medical Department, Aviation Section at Kelly.

While at Kelly he contracted the Spainish flu, developed pneumonia and died on October 16th, 1918. He was 27 years old.

This is a photo of PVT McIntyre taken in San Antonio.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI: PVT McIntyre Med Dept Aviation Section  

?

Default Re: WWI: PVT McIntyre Med Dept Aviation Section

This is a letter he sent to his brother telling him about the photo and also telling him that he was going to be "stuck" at Kelly Field until the end of the war.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI: PVT McIntyre Med Dept Aviation Section  

?

His Mother received word on Monday, October 14th of the seriousness of his condition and this telegram arrived on the 16th, the day McIntyre died. Fortunetly, his parent had arrived at Kelly shortly before he passed away.
    Attached Images Attached Images WWI: PVT McIntyre Med Dept Aviation Section 

?

Ambia, Indiana is a small town and a few articles were written about his death. This part of the state is very rural and was not heavily populated. As mentioned in the Gold Star article, 16 men from Benton County died while serving their country.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI: PVT McIntyre Med Dept Aviation Section   WWI: PVT McIntyre Med Dept Aviation Section  

WWI: PVT McIntyre Med Dept Aviation Section  

?

I believe that the American Legion Hall in Ambia is named in his honor. I hope to get up that way and see the hall and visit his grave. Thank you for taking the time to look at this thread and remembering one who gave his all.

It is good that he is remembered. The flu outbreak killed millions....

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks Ade. It is still amazing to me to read how devestating was the Spanish flu and how far reaching! Unfortunetly there are many more stories on both sides of the lines of soldiers like PVT McIntyre.

A super group Erick. Not everything has to be "high profile" to be interesting and meaningful. Great posting, and by your making this public, this is yet another soldier who will not completely slip into the past unnoticed.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

He did his bit, and no one could ask more. God bless, and blue skies.

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by BEAST View Post
    Ambia, Indiana is a small town and a few articles were written about his death. This part of the state is very rural and was not heavily populated. As mentioned in the Gold Star article, 16 men from Benton County died while serving their country.

A very nice group and a tribute to be honored on this forum. Life for the enlisted man during WW1 was rough at best and every soldier from that period deserves to be remembered. Thanks for posting, you have done well.

Terry