Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Anyone know where to find a correct WWII Expert Badge screw plate?

Article about: Bought a wartime expert machine gun badge, but it has an incorrect large silver screw plate. Tried ebay but they all seem to be post-war screw plates. Anyone know where to find a correct WWI

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    These are found on both excellence badges and Guards badges and other badges as well. There's a wide variety of nuts indeed. Also one should not forget, it was war. These badges were worn in the field, at all times. Badges got damaged, nuts got lost and replaced. Therefor, as stated in the openingpost an Excellence badge with a silver nut as usually found on Red Stars f.e. also happened. Soldiers were inventive and used whatever they could get their hands on. That said, if it was mine, I wouldn't replace the silver nut but keep it as is.
    By ‘silver’ I suspect he means a steel nut like on a 1985 OGPW2 and I haven’t ever seen that nut on a guards badge? What factory is it stamped?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Anyone know where to find a correct WWII Expert Badge screw plate?
    P
    Many

?

Quote by meyerse View Post
    By ‘silver’ I suspect he means a steel nut like on a 1985 OGPW2 and I haven’t ever seen that nut on a guards badge? What factory is it stamped?
    No, it currently has a nut like on the Order of the Red Star.

Quote by grimes View Post
    I would leave it as is. Could very well be done by the soldier him/herself.

Quote by meyerse View Post
    Officially these are not used for Excellence badges. However, it could be a replacement done by the veteran. They still wear these badges and orders and medals for veteran meetings and victory parades up to the present day. So you are right, originally these nuts don't belong on this badges. But veterans are inventive and when these small nuts got lost they use whatever does the job. Just look at the badge Dom showed with a coin used as a nut.

if truly a silver one then worth someting on its own, if steel then a later replacement

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    Officially these are not used for Excellence badges. However, it could be a replacement done by the veteran. They still wear these badges and orders and medals for veteran meetings and victory parades up to the present day. So you are right, originally these nuts don't belong on this badges. But veterans are inventive and when these small nuts got lost they use whatever does the job. Just look at the badge Dom showed with a coin used as a nut.
    but you also dont know if it was done last week, i have a similar coin replacement too,

That's true but we should not rule out anomalies. These things happened. A lot.

Dom
    ?

Is this one wartime?
    Yes and after also .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2