MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Assorted Soviet Documents

Article about: I must admit an impulse buy on Fleabay the weekend, assorted documents relating to Kravchuk Vasily Stepanovich, did not pay alot for them. I am hoping they are all period and genuine documen

Default Re: Assorted Soviet Documents

Quote by ph3s View Post
    Nah, no direct killing. The medal is for overall bravery as a military driver, that delivered the supplies to front-line during the offencive operations. Most of the time under heavy enemy fire. Regardless of any circumstances he always managed to deliver ammunition and food on-time etc.

The document also mentions his medal for the defence of Leningrad. Drivers life was a hell in there. Just imagine driving on the ice of Ladoga to supply ammo and food for starving city.
    Hi Ph3s,

Is that what the documents state? I have seen a few documentaries regarding the Siege of Leningrad and how the Red Army endeavoured to keep the city supplied via Lake Ladoga, using convoys of trucks to ferry supplies across, it was an awesome undertaking, and an extremely dangerous one! I saw that a lot of the drivers used to drive the trucks while standing on the running boards in case the ice broke and the truck plunged into the frozen depths!! If indeed this guy was one of them I will be very pleased to have these documents!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Assorted Soviet Documents
    P
    Many

?

The document doesn't say what exactly he did at Leningrad. All we know is that he served in the area, since he received the Medal for the Defense of Leningrad.

Quote by Auke View Post
    The document doesn't say what exactly he did at Leningrad. All we know is that he served in the area, since he received the Medal for the Defense of Leningrad.
    Hi auke
    Thanks for that, what about the documents regarding his bravery medal ?

Cheers

?

Which Bravery Medal? It seems he was only awarded the Medal for Combat Merit and the Medal for the Defense of Leningrad.

Sorry Auke, I am becoming a little confused now ! haha The input by Ph3s has confused me !

I quote Bill " Here is what I believe to be the citation and award list for the Combat Service Medal, #2935082, from the archives. . . He is #21. . . "

What does that relate to ???

Going back to the beginning, please, what can you learn from the documents I posted, any imput would me most appreciated !!

Cheers M

?

Unfortunately it doesn't say about the Medal of Defence of Leningrad. But a driver from a supply platoon in Leningrad most of the time in winters would do driving trough Ladoga.

The recipient was born in 1919. Nationality Ukrainian. In Red Army since 1939. Served as a driver in Auto Supply Platoon 365 of 48 Ropshin Division . From the beginning of war 22.04.1941 was in Leningrad.

The number #21 only a number. That is the list of persons that were awarded by those signatures and approvals.

Sorry guys, but this is still confusing me, must be something wrong with me !! haha

Combat Service Medal, #2935082, in the booklet, is there any information for why this was awarded??

Cheers again !!!!

?

The medal is for doing the job in-time under enemy fire and being a good driver. Just like I said. In 1945 awards were given generously unlike 1941-43.

?

OK, step by step:

You have the medal booklet for Medal for Combat Merit (Service) #2935082. The citations for these are online, and that's the document Bill posted. ph3s has provided a summary of what the citation says.

You also have the document for his Medal for the Defense of Leningrad, so we know he must have served in the Leningrad area. What he did exactly, and if he was already a driver at the time, we don't know.

The third document is his driver's license (written in Ukrainian), and the fourth a warning ticket, issued in 1964.

Thanks Auke !! Thats great, I get it now ! not bad for $23 uh ?? Do you think there is much chance of me finding his CSM ! lol

Thanks everyone again, having a blonde week it seems haha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast