Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Award citation with incorrect action date?

Article about: Hi Guys I have some problem with one OGIII citation I have and placing action discribed in time and place. The citation is for 47th Gu. RD starshina from gen. Chuikov's 8th Gu. army for the

Default Award citation with incorrect action date?

Hi Guys
    I have some problem with one OGIII citation I have and placing action discribed in time and place. The citation is for 47th Gu. RD starshina from gen. Chuikov's 8th Gu. army for the period it fought in Warka-Magnuszew bridgehead in august 1944.

"... In the engagement neat village Studzianki on 20 August 1944 he commited several acts of bravery: following the commander orders with a small group of submachine gunners he went to sweep a forest where German troops were hiding. Adancing deep into the forest, they found themselves surrounded by the enemy. Comrade Molodstov did't loose control of the situation and was first one to rush at the enemy, and thanks to his decisiveness and courage, he manager to take his group out of the encirclement without losses. At the same time they eliminated up to 10 enemy soldiers. Near the dyke he was one of the first to rush into enemy trenches and with grenades eliminated 12 enemy troops…(further part of citation discribes action on 18 August " (Thank You Igor for translating this one "

So what's the problem? The problem is that action described as taking place on 20th August absolutely don't match to this date.

#1-Large Forest On 20th August 1944 Molodstov's 140th regiment fought in the fields between two villages-Emilów and in further part of day advanced in the direction of Rogożek.

"Till 19.00 20th Aug. 140th Gu. RR with 244th Gu.RR from 82nd Gu. RD cleared out Emilów from enemy troops and reached positions 900m south-east from Emilów"

The enly forest in that area was had 150m x 200m wide. Isn't it way too small for described action? Also in the army document's it's described as "grove".
    Second thing is that Studzianki were few kilometers NW that 140th positions on 20.8.1944

#2-The dyke The second thing taking place on 20th Aug. was capturing by Molodstov German trench near the dyke. In history in the combat on Warka-Magnuszew bridgehead there was only one "Dyke" in which area fierce fight has been taking place-located in woods east from Studzianki. In the area of operation on August 20th there was no dyke in nearby area.

#3Chronology One more thing-I have never seen a citation where action were described in unchronological order. First- action on 20th and at the end- action which took place 2 days earlier. Strange?

Conclusion-IMHO-the action absolutely mismatch the date described (please look at attached maps). BUT the action matches absolutely the action described in documents with date 13th August 1944. From the after action reports of 47th Gu.RD. for 13.8 : "137th and 140th Gu.RRs are ordered to wipe out forest massif and capture dykeBy 10.00 each regiment with 2 battalions each attacked in ordered areas: 140th-forest 800-1200m SE farm (Studzianki)"

"140th regiment in fierce combat in ordered area brok through enemy defense. By 12.00 with one battalion captured the dyke (dam). Between the first and second (counting from west) forest clearing was wiping out a forest in a direction of a dyke. 3/137 and 2/140 (Molodstov's battalion) was wiping out a forest massif in the area of farm (Studzianki)"

That's my conclusion. I would really like to know what do you think as the matter is strange for me-officer writing a commendation letter would write a wrong date and it would pass through all the levels without correction. I would be sure with this before I'll go out in the mentioned area and try to place it in present landscape. Or maybe you have your own suggestion concerning this citation?

Hoping for you opinions and best Regards

Jacob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Award citation with incorrect action date?   Award citation with incorrect action date?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Award citation with incorrect action date?
    P
    Many

Please note that dyke on previous Soviet Staff map is described as "dam". That's because I did this some time ago and couldn't find English word for that thing-in Russian "damba" means dam and dyke.
    map below is from 1937 with marked positions both on 13th and 20th Aug.
    encircled in red-place in forest where 140th was conducting wiping out actions.
    In yellow-important names of villages
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Award citation with incorrect action date?  

?

Jacob, I think you are right. The date in the citation is not correct. Most likely the events should be dated 13/August.
    Don't be surprised about a wrong date. Happens sometimes.
    The 140 GuRR combat journal mentioned several times, that 2 battalion (the one where MOLODTSOV served) had a task to sweep forest areas. On the 12.08 it specifically mentioned , that there was no contact to the right neighbouring unit (137GuRR). The reason for this was presence of the enemy groups in the forest.

Here the combat journal says the same as the citation: forest sweep, in which 2 battalion 140GuRR participated.
    The sweep area "forest around folwark".

Here is the app. events on 12-13 August. Folwark location is marked.

Thank you. That’s what I was hoping to be confirmed. Now everything is matching together and I can do a research in the field.
    Best Regards
    Jacob

?

Jacob, if going to the field, consider visiting the forester's lodge location.
    There is a detailed description of the action by 140GuRR next to the lodge on 12-13 Aug. Interesting detailed description.Award citation with incorrect action date?

I’ll definitely go there, to forester’s lodge and some other locations connected with 2/140.
    Best Regards
    Jacob

?

Jacob, there is a Bravery medal waiting for me in the post office. It has close relation to this action, place, and time. I will post later.

That sounds like something what would fit to my collection Can’t wait to see the results.

?

OK, very close in time and space... Though a different division... Still interestingly related to the Magnuszew bridgehead.
    Bravery medal awarded to Guards private CHUMAK, the rifleman of the 79 blocking detachment.
    In service since Summer 9142 on Stalingrad front. Wounded 3 times.
    Citation:
    "Comrade CHUMAK is a devoted and disciplined soldier of the detachment. Many times he exhibited steadfastness and gallantry in combat situations. On 10 August this year (1944), on the left bank of Vistula river, the situation became dire on one of the defence sectors. The enemy constantly counter attacked.
    Comrade CHUMAK, among the other fighters, was given an order to back up the combat formations of 39 GuRD and 79 GuRD. Despite the enemy aerial bombardment and cannon/rifle fire, comrade CHUMAK didn't let a single coward nor panic monger out of the battlefield. The given objective was fulfilled.

Commander of 79 blocking detachment.
    Guards Captain ZAMORIN
    "

CHUMAK's citation for his second Bravery medal is intersting too: "for removal of Polish Home Army officers and their weapons".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Award citation with incorrect action date?   Award citation with incorrect action date?  

Last edited by Egorka; 07-15-2019 at 05:44 PM.