Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

The Crimson Tide

Article about: usually, March is associated with shamrocks, pots of gold and anything green. for me however it has been full of Stars, red enamel, and silver. i would like to thank Auke for the assistance

Default The Crimson Tide

usually, March is associated with shamrocks, pots of gold and anything green. for me however it has been full of Stars, red enamel, and silver. i would like to thank Auke for the assistance in research and translations. This first one was givin to the young Private March 18th, 1945.

This next group was awarded to Senior Seaman & Chief of Gunners Vasily N. Sapon. Assigned to the Mine Sweeper Doroteya, Black Sea Fleet. Awarded the the Ushakov Medal in September of 1944. Sadly it is missing from the group, as well as his 30th aniversary of victory medal. Can anyone read the Ushakov citation?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Crimson Tide
    P
    Many

Very nice.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Great medals, the research really makes these come alive.

Some nice additions you got thare to the collection and well displayed...the research does indeed add to the hidden story of the medal....the citation may not have been read in a long time........

Thank you everyone! I think the best part about collecting soviet awards is how your imagination runs wild. Who does it belong to? Where did he/she earn it? How did he/she earn it? Just exciting! That large space in the Navy Display is for when i learn of his heroics or feats, I will type it out. I'll have to rearange it if I ever find the Ushakov medal.

?

Looks good friend. Very nice display.

Thanks Steve! I've done some more web surfing about the Doroteya. It turns out to be one of the oldest minesweepers of the Black Sea Fleet, built in 1924. I also learned that it was involved with evacuations out of Odessa in October of 41. Specificly, they rescued the 157th Rifle Division from the 3rd to the 6th.

someone on another page had emailed me a translation. thank you Anton!

Comrade Sapon enlisted in the Soviet Navy September 1st, 1940. He was originally assigned to the 412th Costal Battery of Odessa, from where he was sent to headquarters of Odessa base, to a Special Group. This led the fight against the fascists. In hard days for Odessa the Special Group was sent to the frontline where he stayed until the last day of defense of the city. After that he was evacuated to Sevastopol. From late 1941 he is a member of the Deroteya as Chief of Gunners, which has established itself at its best: put in order materiel and prepared to soldier to fight.
    In October of 1942, during repulsing of continuous attacks of enemy aircrafts on the sea near Novorossiysk one was shot down by his gun crew. In April 1944, a fire started on the ship. The fire threatened to cellar with ammunition. Risking his life, he boldly rushed into the fire and with help of Captain Serdinskih he quickly liquidated the flames and kept the ship out of danger. Comrade Sapon is a participant of Defence of Odessa, Sevastopol and Caucasus. He deserves to be awarded the Uhsakov Medal.