Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Defense of Sevastopol - finally

Article about: Thanks to Matthijs from Sovietorders I finally managed to get a 1st variation, type 2 (with thicker rounded edge) Defense of Sevastopol medal. I've been looking for an original 1st variation

I came across this post and I was first staring in disbelief, but now I'm here sitting with a big grin on my face.

I've been prowling the internet and Mat's website especially for that coveted Sevastopol - the last one I need for my "Defense of.." series. So YOU are the guy who did not only grab the first one but the second one to! Never though I'd run into them again hahaha. You must've sat on that website 24/7, I know I checked virtually every day last month.
    Very nice pieces, I can totally understand why you got them. They aged beautifully, especially the first one.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Defense of Sevastopol - finally
    P
    Many

A matter of good timing. Being on the right place at the right time

With the same luck last night I managed to find the very rare, first stamp of the Defence of Caucasus medal with the three tankrider riflemen holding rifles (vertically sticking up next to the tankriders on the front tank). Only seen on the first batch of this 1st variant medal. On all other 1st variant type 1 medals these rifles are not there anymore and only the tankriders can be seen. So I am very thrilled to finally have found this one

Defense of Sevastopol - finally

Quote by Thedutchjelle View Post
    I came across this post and I was first staring in disbelief, but now I'm here sitting with a big grin on my face.

I've been prowling the internet and Mat's website especially for that coveted Sevastopol - the last one I need for my "Defense of.." series. So YOU are the guy who did not only grab the first one but the second one to! Never though I'd run into them again hahaha. You must've sat on that website 24/7, I know I checked virtually every day last month.
    Very nice pieces, I can totally understand why you got them. They aged beautifully, especially the first one.
    Matthijs has a very nice Sevastopol for sale again, better grab this while it is still available

Soviet Medal for the Defense of Sevastopol Variation 1 WW2

I saw it, but I already managed to snipe one a few weeks ago when you weren't looking I also saw he sold another Odessa, and my first instinct was to check on this forum to see who had bought it. Wasn't too surprised to see it was you, hahaha.

The new sevasta he's offering is beautiful and I'd buy it if I had more funds - but right now I'm first trying to get one of each campaign medal before I start collecting doubles and such. Trying to fill up a display cage. And besides, can only spend it once, right?

Haha, I was just lucky to check his page and this Odessa just popped up there. Right place, right time

You collect only 1st variations?

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    Haha, I was just lucky to check his page and this Odessa just popped up there. Right place, right time

You collect only 1st variations?
    Not necessarily, though it turned out that way for the defence collection. No, my plan right now is to have one medal for each of the campaigns, no matter the variation (not counting Voenkomats) - so one Berlin, one Budapest, one Moscow etc. Once I've filled the thing up I can always look into grabbing different variations of each medal, but since each of these things tend to go for 50 euro average I have to make choices. I'll see if I can upload a picture of my display cage soon to show the current state of affairs

Many campaign medals can be found quite cheap on Ebay when you know what to look for. I spend a lot of time studying in detail all the campaign medals which paid off in the end. Many original medals can be bought for € 15-20 from former Soviet states. And if not paying attention or caring for replaced suspensions than medals can be bought even more cheap.
    Myself I prefer only to have the original suspensions with uncut rings which makes the search a tiny bit more difficult yet still quite affordable. Around € 50,- is dealers prices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2