Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Early Order of Red Banner

Article about: Hello gentlemen, This is my first post on this forum so thanks for having me here. I've been on WAF for many, many years but the Soviet militaria section there is rather limited and since my

Default Early Order of Red Banner

Hello gentlemen,

This is my first post on this forum so thanks for having me here. I've been on WAF for many, many years but the Soviet militaria section there is rather limited and since my main focus of collecting has shifted a bit from German to Soviet militaria I decided to join up here on War Relics because it seems the Soviet section is much more alive and I have noticed the huge knowledge around here.
    As said, my main focus shifted from German to Soviet over the last few years and I hope I can also share some of my knowledge here.

My first item I wanna show here is my latest purchase, a researched well worn early Order of Red Banner. I have to admit that even though I am quite experienced on Soviet orders and medals my knowledge on Orders of Red Banner is still very limited.

This order is awarded to Guards Senior Sergeant Ivan Timofeyevich Zdorovy for brave actions on August 15 1941. The order was awarded on December 25 1941. It is numbered 28868 and has quite some enamel damage due to combat wear. The way I like my medals and orders most. I will let the pictures do the talking!

Once more, thanks for having me here and I am looking forward to learn more as well as share my knowledge here on War relics.
    Cheers,
    Marcel

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early Order of Red Banner
    P
    Many

Welcome Marcel!
    Always happy to have new, experienced members here!
    I'm sure Ade will be able to help you.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Marcel, welcome!

Looks good to me.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks a lot Ralph and Adrian!!

For those interested some more information about Ivan and the reason why he was awarded the ORB:

Born in 1920 in Beryozovka, Kharkov Oblast (Ukraine) and served with rank Private as telephone operator in the 274th Corps Artillery Regiment, 17th Rifle Corps when being nominated for the ORB in 1941.

Besides the ORB Ivan also was awarded the Red Star on February 22 1945, the Medal for Defense of the Caucasus on May 1st 1944 and finally the Medal for Victory over Germany on May 9 1945. In 1945 Ivan had climbed up to the rank of Guards Senior Sergeant - Signal Squad leader in the 42nd Guards Army cannon Artillery Brigade, Independant Coastal Army.
    In November 1945 Ivan left the Red Army and became farmer at a Kolkhoz in his place of birth Beryozovka.

The desription of why Ivan was awarded the ORB:
    "Comrade Zdorovy carries out his battery commander's instructions perfectly. During the fighting near the village of Verkhovka he repaired the telephone line, which had been severed by shrapnel, under enemy mortal fire, thus restoring communications with the firing positions".

Dom
    ?

Nice Red Banner I particularly like its salty appearance, an Order that went through the Patriotic War deserves the greatest respect, even more when it is awarded to an NCO .

Welcome to the forum Marcel

Thank you very much Dom!! Myself I also prefer the salty, well worn orders and medals above any mint medal/order. These really have been through something and definitely show character.

All the best,
    Marcel

It took a bit longer than I wanted but here's the documents going with this order. It is always very nice to have the documents along with the order or medal. It brings the story of the awardee to live rather than the order just being a nice collectors piece. It adds a human touch to an otherwise dead item.

Ivan is listed under no. 13 on page 3 with the red number 17.

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    Thank you very much Dom!! Myself I also prefer the salty, well worn orders and medals above any mint medal/order. These really have been through something and definitely show character.
    Yeah I agree with that

Can you tell us why did he receive that red banner ?

The desription of why Ivan was awarded the ORB:
    "Comrade Zdorovy carries out his battery commander's instructions perfectly. During the fighting near the village of Verkhovka he repaired the telephone line, which had been severed by shrapnel, under enemy mortal fire, thus restoring communications with the firing positions" and "On August 15, 1941, during an enemy cavalry raid, he heroically attacked".

On February 22 1945 Ivan was furthermore awarded the Order of the Red Star.

Here on the map the village of Verkhovka in nowadays Ukraine.