Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Everybody gets stung sometimes.

Article about: Was travelling through a small town a couple of weeks back and popped into a small antique mall the kind that rents out small cabinets for various sellers. One cabinet had a number of medals

Default Everybody gets stung sometimes.

Was travelling through a small town a couple of weeks back and popped into a small antique mall the kind that rents out small cabinets for various sellers. One cabinet had a number of medals in it amongst which was this Order of the October Revolution for not much money. Well construction and quality looked better than I thought would be shown on a copy and the suspender looked good so I decided to take a chance. Obviously this didn't pay off this time..well lesson learnt and will be a bit more careful next time. Thought however I would submit this thread for your information and possibly education.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Everybody gets stung sometimes.   Everybody gets stung sometimes.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Everybody gets stung sometimes.
    P
    Many

Welcome to the club, sometimes you are in a place that you are not likely to return to and take a gamble, sometimes you win sometimes you dont, but yes i am sure that 100% of the forum have been or will be stung sometime.

It Happens.
    Thank you for posting it.

Thanks to whoever turned the photo's around. It comes with the territory I suppose. However I have been reasonably fortunate and not taken too many hits over the years.

Yep, I know we all get "one from behind" once in a while. It is so easy and there are so many arseholes out there ready to rip us off. I expect the dealer didn't know what he was selling but the truth is he should have! It is not always justification to say "Caveat Emptor" so thank you for showing this awful fake of a medal that has not suffered from copying as much as others.

For reference the points that jump out at me immediately are the generally flat appearance especially of the battleship Aurora (she fired the first shots of the revolution allegedly), the poor definition of the hammer and sickle device, the dreadful enamel compared to the original and that the reverse bears no resemblance to either variation of the original. I hope it wasn't expensive and will do as a gap filler / display background.

Mine was a birthday gift from the Mrs bought from a flea market in Hannover in the early nineties so my heart was in my mouth when I realised what she had bought for 400 Deutsche Marks! Fortunately it turned out to be a 2nd variation (two rivets in the hammer/sickle instead of one) which makes it post 1974. Phew! Sorry for the picture quality but it's just about dark here at the moment.

Thanks again for showing this for the benefit of others who might encounter one.

Regards

Mark

Everybody gets stung sometimes.Everybody gets stung sometimes.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

never a true'er word.