Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fringed Guards badge. Post-war or not?

Article about: As a lot of opinions heard that this is post -war , I 'am still stone in mind that some of them were produced at the end of war, that was not a regulation but just a design. I've saw myself

?

Default Fringed Guards badge. Post-war or not?

As a lot of opinions heard that this is post -war , I 'am still stone in mind that some of them were produced at the end of war, that was not a regulation but just a design. I've saw myself one in dug condition from the battlefield and I owe myself one which came from vet's family. There a bit other type than usual post war fringed variation and as soon as I can I will show what is my thought.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fringed Guards badge. Post-war or not?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Fringed Guards badge. Post-war or not?

Hi Dimas, it is my belief that Fringed badges did appear late in WW2. But these do differ in design to the more well know post war eamples.

I think the flag has a much more gentle "wave" to it. Also the enamel is better quality than post war badges from the 1950's etc.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Yes, you are right, I\ll try to make a pictures tommorow!

?

Hereis some examples without fringe and fringed, one is cracked enamel is from veterans family, usually the battle worn badges with cracked enamel due of hard use. One is circa 46-50 i think but with old type of screwback
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fringed Guards badge. Post-war or not?   Fringed Guards badge. Post-war or not?  

Fringed Guards badge. Post-war or not?   Fringed Guards badge. Post-war or not?  

Fringed Guards badge. Post-war or not?   Fringed Guards badge. Post-war or not?  

These are just the type of badges I was thinking of I just love Guards badges.

Cheers, Ade.

Interesting, Not certain as to the timeframe for the fringe use. I only take it as a reference that if you want one that is certainly from WW2, the get one without the fringe. Just collector's advice. The fringe variety, at least some of them may have been introduces late in the war.

One caveat on ground dug items though... Maybe is does not relate to your situation, but there have been some ground dug helmets on German ebay recently from the Berlin area offered as relics of the battle of Berlin. The helmets were obviously ground dug and obviously not of recent burial to fake such a thing. However, they were obviously postwar helmets as they contatined the mounting hardware for the final version of the Ssh-40 that had the 4-point "paratroop" type chinstrap harness in them.

Ground dug yes, war time, no. They likely came from some former Soviet Barracks or training area in the Berlin area. Discarded years a go as trash or something.

Hi Mike, I think that is very good advice and I would agree with you.

What kind of date are the poorer quality fringed badges with a painted type finish as opposed to enamel? One or two guys in our LH group have them in their collections. Sorry I don't have any pics.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I was thought also about that. But I'am still have not a confirmation about thedateof issue.
    For sure I've seen one from a battlefield, but who knows, probably thatbadgewas belonged to sapper who exploded in the mine after the war... But really I'am bothered to the idea that this is a latewar. Screwback etc

Dimas,

It could be late war... I have no idea. It would be interesting if it was and I do believe it is possible, but as a collector I choose the other type to be certain. I wonder what the Russian book on Soviet badges has to say about this fringe detail?

Default Unrelated...

How is it that I am now shown as a Lifetime Member ???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast