Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

GPW 40th anniversary medal - bit unusual?

Article about: Bought this on a bit of an erm.... 'ethanol induced whim' for \\$15. From the 5mins of research I did I know it's a 40 commemorative GPW medal, but I couldn't find any images that had the top

?

Default GPW 40th anniversary medal - bit unusual?

Bought this on a bit of an erm.... 'ethanol induced whim' for $15. From the 5mins of research I did I know it's a 40 commemorative GPW medal, but I couldn't find any images that had the top bit.

Any opinions on value?

GPW 40th anniversary medal - bit unusual?
    Last edited by DioMac; 04-04-2012 at 08:41 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement GPW 40th anniversary medal - bit unusual?
    P
    Many

Default Re: GPW 40th anniversary medal - bit unusual?

I think the value would be about the max of it's worth.

Not an official award per se. There are a myriad of these Veteran type awards and they are a study in their own right.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

No worries thanks Ade, I was wondering if you could tell me about the clasp bit? In the pictures I've seen, none of them have it.

As to value, I'm not too worried about that. The seller had it listed as New Old Stock, so it's obviously never been awarded. Selling an awarded medal is something I'd find objectionable.

I cannot add any more, sorry. I am sure other will be able to.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I regret it's value is probably about what you paid for it. Ade is correct, it is a veteran's commemorative pin, not an officially state sanctioned award. Paul Schmitt has written an excellent book on the subject, "Soviet Second World War Veteran's Badges."

?

Oh well, it's keepsake value is probably more important. I'll put it next my little piece of the Berlin wall.

And I think I'll have to lock myself from my PC whilst imbibing ;-)

?

I agree with the aforementioned. It's a commemorative pin, and obviously modeled after the Order of the Patriotic War.