Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

HELP - Info on these medals? - Battle of Stalingrad coin & more.

Article about: Hi guys, I have a few medals I received from my great-grand father shortly before he passed and I would like to find out more about them.. why they were awarded and a little history behind t

Painkiller
    ?

Exclamation HELP - Info on these medals? - Battle of Stalingrad coin & more.

Hi guys, I have a few medals I received from my great-grand father shortly before he passed and I would like to find out more about them.. why they were awarded and a little history behind them since I didn't have a chance to ask him and talk to him about it.

The first one I found out is for The Battle of Stalingrad, but its not the Hero City medal that keeps showing up everywhere online.. its like an over sized golden coin that came in a red pouch. I'd like to find some solid information/references as why this was awarded in addition to the medal.. the only thing I could find on Google are eBay listings that don't have any real information, I'm not even sure what this coin is called/referred as. Any more detailed information about this one would be greatly appreciated..

The other medals appear to be just the anniversary of the CCCP military or something like that... again, any detailed information would be great on these.

He had a lot of medals, but said he wanted to be buried with them, and just gave me these.. is it selfish of me to think that he should have passed them down to me so I could hold on to them? Regardless I respect his wishes... just wish I could have had them, and shared his story with my grand kids.
    Last edited by Painkiller; 09-29-2012 at 10:22 PM.

2. # ADS