Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Medal of Bravery #446572, Is it good?

Article about: Hi I recently bought this from a estate of a collector. I have a weird feeling about it so I thought I would get other peoples opinions. The ribbon and hanger has been replaced that I know.

?

Default Medal of Bravery #446572, Is it good?

Hi I recently bought this from a estate of a collector. I have a weird feeling about it so I thought I would get other peoples opinions. The ribbon and hanger has been replaced that I know. I put a caliper on it the overall width is correct, there are no cast marks on it anywhere and it is silver, it just seem different I can take any other pictures that are required. Anyways, any help would be good, and thanks in advance.Medal of Bravery #446572, Is it good?Medal of Bravery #446572, Is it good?Medal of Bravery #446572, Is it good?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medal of Bravery #446572, Is it good?
    P
    Many

?

Hi.

In my opinion It looks good. The ribbon and hanger is a modern replacement, but the medal looks good for me.
    A low serial number.

Regards.

?

The medal is original, but I'm a bit puzzled by the unusual way in which the serial number has been stamped. As mentioned above, the suspension and ribbon are relatively recent replacements.

?

Thanks for the replies. The serial number was one of the things that made me scratch my head. It looks to be hand punched, (there are what looks like tool marks under the first 4) the 5 and the 7 are both on a slight angle / misaligned . I put a caliper on it and it doesn't show signs of being shaved to have the numbers replaced.

?

OP and I were discussing this on reddit, I got two 'no good' votes on it at another forum, FWIW.

No good as in the medal is a fake or no good as in an un-numbered award has had a number added?

?

Both, or either. More like a vague unease about a few issues.

?

According to the lady I bought this from her husband bought all his Soviet medals pre wall fall, as to whether that is true I have no way to know, but if the medal itself is fake it is a oldish fake.

The medal looks good to me although I am not entirely sure about the serial number font. It should be remembered though that this medal was awarded upto 1991 by USSR and subsequently retained by the Russian Federation. However, the current version is made of inferior metal than the silver of earlier types. This one looks to me like a type 2 variation 1 as it has a soldered suspension ring. In this case it would have been issued with a 5 sided suspension but these have often been replaced by the original holders in order to look "smart" in wear. Also, it is not unusual for the original owner to have had the enamel replaced for the same reason. I have seen it done with red paint. As I say the medal looks ok I am just not sure about the serial number font. The figure 4 in particular seems to have a serif at the foot of the vertical stroke which I am not accustomed to seeing.

This medal is often faked by the way.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-05-2016 at 06:00 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thanks for the replies everyone, I knew when I picked this one up it wasn't text book but I decided to take a chance on it. Here are better close up pictures of the front and back and of the enamel (the red part on the T is the enamel coming off that why it looks different). Also pictures are big so they take a bit of time if you open them up.

Medal of Bravery #446572, Is it good?Medal of Bravery #446572, Is it good?Medal of Bravery #446572, Is it good?

Edit to include this picture that has a serif on the 4, its not the same style of 4 but it does show that they could be used. This can be found on [url=http://mondvor.narod.ru/MOtvaga.html] the last medal under type 1 V 4 (sorry if I broke rules by posting other sites.)

Medal of Bravery #446572, Is it good?
    Last edited by M.E.E.; 07-05-2016 at 08:20 PM.