Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Medal for Combat Service

Article about: Just purchased this nice example ...Type 1 var3, circa 1942 Awarded for combat action resulting in a military success, courageous defence of the state borders or successful military and poli

Default Medal for Combat Service

Just purchased this nice example ...Type 1 var3, circa 1942

Awarded for combat action resulting in a military success, courageous defence of the state borders or successful military and political training and planning

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medal for Combat Service   Medal for Combat Service  

Medal for Combat Service   Medal for Combat Service  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medal for Combat Service
    P
    Many

Dom
    ?

Nice medal, congrats

This early issue (pre 1942) has to be on a square holderMedal for Combat ServiceMedal for Combat Service
    See the example attached

Originally, yes they were, and many were "upgraded" to five sided suspensions as shown here.

Quote by Bill Garvy View Post
    Originally, yes they were, and many were "upgraded" to five sided suspensions as shown here.
    Quite so and I think that "many" is actually "most" because the majority of recipients of the first type are likely to have been still serving in uniform when the change was made

You have a nice example there Nick.

Here are two others for comparison;

1. A 1st type 3rd variant on the original rectangular suspension.
    2. A 2nd type 3rd variant on the later 5 sided suspension of white metal rather than aluminium, note the integral 'U' shaped ring on the medal.

Something to watch for with these is the red enamel which tends to be often lost as with my 2nd type is sometimes replaced with red paint. Whether this was done by recipients to "smarten up" their medals or by those later trying to make a medal more attractive to buyers is anyones guess but I would lean towards the latter

As you can see, my 2nd type appears to have been cleaned a some point (not by me ) but hasn't had a paint job!

Medal for Combat ServiceMedal for Combat ServiceMedal for Combat ServiceMedal for Combat Service

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-25-2017 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

My latest purchase, a midwar awarded medal with wartime replaced suspension. Not as attractive as those early ones with square suspension but still nice. Looks like mine also has the letters repainted red again though that doesn't bother me that much with this badge.

Very nice Marcel, the repainted letters certainly are a striking effect!

Nice pick up cool Militaria

Nick

Just added this nice circa 1943 example with early ribbon set up

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medal for Combat Service   Medal for Combat Service  

Medal for Combat Service   Medal for Combat Service  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

A beauty! I had it on my wishlist haha but it is great to see it came into good hands

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    A beauty! I had it on my wishlist haha but it is great to see it came into good hands
    When I first saw it on Matt's site I thought you would buy it Marcel, when I looked a week later it was still there!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast