Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My First New Soviet Medals

Article about: I have received these 'Liberation of Warsaw' and 'Victory over Germany' medals. My guess is, as these were so inexpensive, that the Warsaw medal is possibly a reproduction, or at best a late

Default My First New Soviet Medals

I have received these 'Liberation of Warsaw' and 'Victory over Germany' medals.

My guess is, as these were so inexpensive, that the Warsaw medal is possibly a reproduction, or at best a later issue. The Victory medal is heavier and has a nice document dated 1946.

Any comments would be appreciated.

My computer will not allow me to rearrange the order of the photos, and I apologize for the mixup.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My First New Soviet Medals   My First New Soviet Medals  

My First New Soviet Medals   My First New Soviet Medals  

My First New Soviet Medals   My First New Soviet Medals  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My First New Soviet Medals
    P
    Many

Default Re: My First New Soviet Medals

They both look good to me, Roger. The Liberation of Warsaw Medal appears to be a variation 2. See more here: The Soviet Military Awards Page. Medals, History and Russia!.

Thank you, Bill. I appreciate your looking at these. Thanks for the link, too.

You're welcome, Roger. I'm waiting for someone to make a liar out of me. . .

I would agree both look good. As I have found to my cost it is a very slippery slope after you have bought your first Soviet medals !!!

?

I second that; both medals seem to be original.

?

I'm sorry but I would have a look at the Warsaw one in clear sharp shots one more time. I especially don't like the black substance in letters. The place where most of the defects of casting appear clearly. The second variation of medal has to have a goldish cover as well
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My First New Soviet Medals  

The Warsaw medal does appear to be a casting. It is also lighter in weight than the Victory medal. I am including closeups of both for comparison, but under the scope the difference in quality is noticeable.

Additionally, the Warsaw medal doesn't have that 'gilt' appearance, and does not compare well with the website referenced above.

This is a real learning experience. Thank you all!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My First New Soviet Medals   My First New Soviet Medals  

Last edited by roger9344; 01-27-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: add information

Good eye; I missed those details. If there's one thing I've learned, it's to trust your intuition, Roger.