Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

OGIII #317413, Guards Junior Sergeant (Jew), October 1944, Yugoslavia

Article about: Order of Glory 3rd Class (# 317413), awarded to junior Guards sergeant Efim Borisovich Sterenberg (Ефим Борисович

In Ukraine too:
    Soviet Order Alexander Nevskiy USSR Copy! | eBay

It is scary though how they manage to transform an obvious fake into a very believable order.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement OGIII #317413, Guards Junior Sergeant (Jew), October 1944, Yugoslavia
    P
    Many

For me the order looked off because of the metal, if you look, it appears to be too soft with all the hair like marks. They don't appear due to wear and tear...
    Similar with the Order of Alexander Nevsky, you can see the metal cracking lines of some sort. Cheap metal being used compared to back in the day.

Are you sure it is fake? Could it be one in the 790,###+ that has had the electropencil removed and this number added? What dimension do you see as off, can you share a photo?

Look at the double ring around CCCP on the back. This could also be why it went from looking pretty new to 'aged'. and electropencil in this range is cheeper than one in the 300,000s with research (I assume you purchased it with the research?)

Also note the one that is shown in post 7 (in good condition) is in a double steel mount which looks like the type on the electropencil versions?

Match it to this. Орден СЛАВЫ - 3
    Attached Images Attached Images OGIII #317413, Guards Junior Sergeant (Jew), October 1944, Yugoslavia 

I purchased it without the research. I don't think it's a converted later piece with the number removed. There are no signs of that. Probably the material is wrong too, but I can not test that. Will try to take some photos of the dimensions later.

Quote by Bjorn S View Post
    I purchased it without the research. I don't think it's a converted later piece with the number removed. There are no signs of that. Probably the material is wrong too, but I can not test that. Will try to take some photos of the dimensions later.
    If it is an outright fake, it is a fake of the very late version I show and not the serial number range it was given. It has many of the hallmarks of one in the 790s, not 300s. The double rings, the CCCP spacing and font, the window at the base of the tower, clock shape, etc.....all favor the 780s. to 810s.

I'll add that the ones in this range were produced in the late 1960s supposedly for catch up awards, some never being issued......I have one and it has its own distinct look and almost no wear (hence my question about dimensions).

Here is another one in that same range, again, if fake, it is a copy of this version and identifiable as not a 300,000s. Look at the mount too and show us the mount on yours.
    This would be a good way to instantly increase the 'value' of one of these, put a random wartime number in it, the late 300s has the notched clock face so a good reason to put that down..... They give the dimensions for all the ones they list below too....variation of 1.5mm in total height between them. I do not doubt your assessment, but it sure looks like one of these.....
    Collect Russia Order of Glory, 3rd cl, Type 2, Variation 2, #801878, circa 1980s issue or an unissued example. Soviet Russian
    Last edited by meyerse; 11-25-2019 at 10:01 PM.

The 790's and late OGIII awards have a different texture to them than what was shown in post #1 and post #7. not sure why someone would go through the trouble of removing the original engraving, to engrave a different #.

Quote by kmoney10 View Post
    The 790's and late OGIII awards have a different texture to them than what was shown in post #1 and post #7. not sure why someone would go through the trouble of removing the original engraving, to engrave a different #.
    Because the late awards bring 1/2 of what a war time award would. Again, not saying it is renumbered, but if it is a copy it appears to be a copy of that later award for all the reasons stated.

Quote by meyerse View Post
    If it is an outright fake, it is a fake of the very late version I show and not the serial number range it was given. It has many of the hallmarks of one in the 790s, not 300s. The double rings, the CCCP spacing and font, the window at the base of the tower, clock shape, etc.....all favor the 780s. to 810s.

I'll add that the ones in this range were produced in the late 1960s supposedly for catch up awards, some never being issued......I have one and it has its own distinct look and almost no wear (hence my question about dimensions).

Here is another one in that same range, again, if fake, it is a copy of this version and identifiable as not a 300,000s. Look at the mount too and show us the mount on yours.
    This would be a good way to instantly increase the 'value' of one of these, put a random wartime number in it, the late 300s has the notched clock face so a good reason to put that down..... They give the dimensions for all the ones they list below too....variation of 1.5mm in total height between them. I do not doubt your assessment, but it sure looks like one of these.....
    Collect Russia Order of Glory, 3rd cl, Type 2, Variation 2, #801878, circa 1980s issue or an unissued example. Soviet Russian
    Here are some of the photos of the order #801878 mentioned in the link above for if/when the link dies.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture OGIII #317413, Guards Junior Sergeant (Jew), October 1944, Yugoslavia   OGIII #317413, Guards Junior Sergeant (Jew), October 1944, Yugoslavia  

OGIII #317413, Guards Junior Sergeant (Jew), October 1944, Yugoslavia   OGIII #317413, Guards Junior Sergeant (Jew), October 1944, Yugoslavia  

OGIII #317413, Guards Junior Sergeant (Jew), October 1944, Yugoslavia  

Quote by meyerse View Post
    Because the late awards bring 1/2 of what a war time award would. Again, not saying it is renumbered, but if it is a copy it appears to be a copy of that later award for all the reasons stated.
    not sure about your sources...typically OGIII goes for $100USD, even on reputable sites one is 90 euro, other is $175USD over the #274462 serial # which is $110USD

Cheaper...maybe, but not 1/2...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture OGIII #317413, Guards Junior Sergeant (Jew), October 1944, Yugoslavia   OGIII #317413, Guards Junior Sergeant (Jew), October 1944, Yugoslavia  

Never purchased from either of those sites and not paid that much for an OGIII. Also wouldn't be interested in paying as much for one that may never have been issued.
    I purchased mine because it was cheap and provided an example for reference.
    My own experience in multiple purchases over time is I do see the higher numbered ones go for much much cheaper and languish (if they don't have an 'underline'). This isn't so dissimilar to Red Star's 'for wounds' and those period issued. What is the price spread on those?

Again, it could indeed be a fake, but it isn't a copy of a 300s award. It is either a modification of or a copy of a much later award....that is what tells you the number isn't legit (even without the photograph of it before aging).

There is 50 bucks to be made doing this.....don't think someone would do all that work for $50? Look at this....
    RARE SOVIET RUSSIA WW2 ORDER MEDL COMBAT SERVICE №265712 | eBay

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast