Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

OGPU Technical-Engineering School Badge?

Article about: Here's another badge I acquired many years ago. I presume it's a Technical-Engineering School Badge for the OGPU circa 1920's

pjm
    ?

Default OGPU Technical-Engineering School Badge?

Here's another badge I acquired many years ago. I presume it's a Technical-Engineering School Badge for the OGPU circa 1920's
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture OGPU Technical-Engineering School Badge?   OGPU Technical-Engineering School Badge?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement OGPU Technical-Engineering School Badge?
    P
    Many

Default Re: OGPU Technical-Engineering School Badge?

no idea ! first time i see

I have not previously seen one of these either, and could not seem to locate any info pertaining to it in any of my many badge references...

I consulted with the collectors on one of the Russian forums and received this:

1- "Этот знак - фантазия, Ричи. Он ненастоящий. А вообще, знаки эти были юбилейными. 5 лет ВЧК-ГПУ, 10 лет ВЧК-ОГПУ, 15 лет ВЧК-ОГПУ. Награждались им за борьбу с контрреволюцией и ее элементами, за поиск и локализацию иностранных разведчиков, за успешное выполнение прочих секретных заданий."

2- "Знак не настоящий. Сделан по мотивам знака об окончании школы Транспортных отделов ОГПУ. "

Without going through the task of translating both replies word for word, I'll simply state that both collectors feel this is a fantasy piece, created as a novelty that is based upon:

The first says, some type of OGPU anniversary badge that was awarded to counter-revolution and/or intelligence work.

And, the second, a graduation type badge from one of the OGPU Transportation schools.

However, these are just opinions. IMO, as this early Soviet stuff goes, one can never know...

Also, as far as I am concerned, this piece is NOT newly made. Thats all I can say...
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

?

My IMO if that badge is long time in collection, then must be OK, the quality fakes is no more than 5 years under production. IMO is original and rare badge. I know that Russian community is more sceptic...
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Абсолютно...

"IMO, as this early Soviet stuff goes, one can never know..."

In the past, long as well as short, I have had many a piece dismissed as fake, fantasy, or "fuflo" when I have shown them on the forums. Every now and then, one of them was exonerated from these categorizations by time, and attentive & INFORMED members of such...

?

It is problem also everywhere, the peoples just learn and collect about 5 years, but would say that he is only expert...
    I'am 22 years in that business, and every time I'am learning...
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

pjm
    ?

I bought this piece at a German militaria show in the 1980's. I collected Soviet militaria in the late 1970's to around 1991. It was interesting and cheap because most German collectors didn't care about it and usually odd Soviet items came with the German militaria they acquired from veterans and families.

Also, there was no reference material for anything except orders and medals, so nobody knew what anything was.

When the wall came down there was so much new and early Soviet as well as Imperial Russian militaria, the prices were even cheaper but the thrill was gone. For me, the items were no longer exotic so I stopped collecting it. There were fleamarkets in Berlin, Gdansk and Wroclaw with vendors who had tables full of Red Banners, Nevskys, Red Stars, etc etc.

Lenin Orders, Hero of the SU and Hero of Labor were priced at the value of the gold.

I don't think I ever paid more than DM 120,- for a screwback Red Banner in the 80's...

Today, collectors know much more but not enough. They are quick to call unfamiliar pieces fantasies. Of course, some want to trick people and others just think they know everything.

Remember Faust~!

Habe nun, ach! Philosophie,
    Juristerei und Medizin
    Und leider auch Theologie
    Durchaus studiert mit heißem Bemühn.
    Da steh ich nun, ich armer Tor!
    Und bin so klug als wie zuvor;

I'll post some pictures of other items I have. It's a variety.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture OGPU Technical-Engineering School Badge?   OGPU Technical-Engineering School Badge?  

OGPU Technical-Engineering School Badge?   OGPU Technical-Engineering School Badge?  

OGPU Technical-Engineering School Badge?   OGPU Technical-Engineering School Badge?  

OGPU Technical-Engineering School Badge?  

OGPU Transportation School badge, probably original.

pjm
    ?

Interesting link with the usual thoughtful comments and pontifications.

Of course, if someone fakes a multi-piece stamped metal badge, there should be others on the market and the badge should be familiar. It takes a lot of work and cost from design to die production, stamping, finishing, etc and then, if one is so inclined, aging, distressing, etc.

I haven't been following the Soviet militaria market until recently so I don't know about the current fakes. Perhaps someone can post a photo of another example of this one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast