Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

OGPW issue questions

Article about: I picked up two Orders of the Great Patriotic War for not much more than their scrap metal value, but there were a bit unusual and I wonder if they go together and I have a few questions. Th

?

Default OGPW issue questions

I picked up two Orders of the Great Patriotic War for not much more than their scrap metal value, but there were a bit unusual and I wonder if they go together and I have a few questions.

The first one is a OGPW second class with a very high number, but not an 1985 issue. The serial number is 962,###. So it is made in the 1968-1969 batches.
    The second one is a OGPW first class from the 1985 40th anniversary issue with a relatively low number for those issues.

1) Because one is very late after the war and the other is a jubalee issue, can the 1968-69 be researched and can it be determined if they go together?
    2) For the 1985 issue, if the veteran already had a OGPW II did they get an OGPW I in 1985?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement OGPW issue questions
    P
    Many

Dom
    ?

For the first question, it seems to me that research is possible (to confirm with the researchers of the forum)
    For the second it seems that it is correct .

Research for the 962### is possible and research will also show if the awardee also received a first class in 1985. It is however not possible as far as I know to research a 1985 order by number alone and without Order booklet from the 1st class (which has a name) it is impossible to say if both 962### 2nd class and 1st class belonged together.

?

A slight correction: the 962XXX can be researched, but the research won't list the jubilee OPW the recipient may have had.

The jubilee OPW can be researched as well. If you want to know if they belong together, I'm afraid you will have to research them both individually.

?

are there other reasons for the issuance of the 1968-69 medals other than catch-up awards?
    That is to say is there a war time (or immediate post war) award citation that was just never filled?

?

Quote by B618aa View Post
    are there other reasons for the issuance of the 1968-69 medals other than catch-up awards?
    That is to say is there a war time (or immediate post war) award citation that was just never filled?
    As I know, no OPW were bestowed for an action after WW2. Those which were handed out in after war time were catch/up awards (basically delayed awards) and the awards "for wounds received during GPW". There were number of decrees "for wounds", each covering several thousands recipients.

OPW2 in 962xxxx range is most likely issued according to the decree "for wounds" from 17 February 1972. No guarantees though.