Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions & Help with Defense of Kiev Medal?

Article about: Hi, Obtained this from a friend and have not seen enough of these to determine authenticity. My question is it authentic and is it an early 1960s issue? All I have to go on is the detail, co

Default Opinions & Help with Defense of Kiev Medal?

Hi,
    Obtained this from a friend and have not seen enough of these to determine authenticity. My question is it authentic and is it an early 1960s issue? All I have to go on is the detail, construction and finish. Very hard to photograph with the light reflection and all to show proper detail. I have looked the ones over on Ebay to compare, I believe it to be authentic in my opinion. The suspension device is the thin aluminum type typical of that era on into the 1980s. No evidence of cast marks at the edge or rim.

Opinions & Help with Defense of Kiev Medal?Opinions & Help with Defense of Kiev Medal?Opinions & Help with Defense of Kiev Medal?Opinions & Help with Defense of Kiev Medal?Opinions & Help with Defense of Kiev Medal?Opinions & Help with Defense of Kiev Medal?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions & Help with Defense of Kiev Medal?
    P
    Many

E-bay is NOT a viable resource for comparisons for purposes of authenticity. Please reference the following links.

404 Not Found

The Soviet Military Awards Page. Medals, History and Russia!

Collect Russia Medal for the Defense of Kiev, 1960s-70s. Soviet Russian

Based on the photographs you provide, it is my opinion the medal is authentic. Inasmuch as the Medal for Defense of Kiev was established in 1961, I would say your example is an early 1960's issue. There is, to my understanding, only one variant with the wrong date stamp on the reverse of the medal and these are rare.

Thanks Bill.

I realize that Ebay is not a good reference guide, just use it to look at different examples. For me Ebay is more of a Fakery Guide. I did review the Soviet Military Awards Page and looked at my McDaniel's Book. I am very confident with evaluating the rest of the Defense, Liberation, Capture related series, but really never considered the Kiev since it was post war production and authorized in 1961 by Khrushchev. Understanding the politics and history of the Kiev, I decided to add one to the collection.

I have never paid attention to the later production medals or manufacturing specs, so had nothing to compare it to except the detail and overall feel of it. I think a new comprehensive reference of Soviet awards and medals is due. With the advancement of digital photography and high speed printing, and the knowledge gathered since McDaniel's Book, we need an update. That's an immerse task, should someone want to take that project on.

I just went through a friend's collection yesterday and culled out about 30% that were fakes or copies. He learned a lot from that experience. That's the game!

Thanks, Mark

You're welcome, Mark; here is another resource:

The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum

Thanks again. After looking over that site, I plan on ordering Paul Schmitt's Echoes of War book and Soviet WW2 Veteran's Badges as well.