Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions needed on this Order of the GPW 1st Class

Article about: Hello, I would like to kindly ask for you opinions on this Soviet Great War badge which is 1st class and low number. Since I have seen only these kind of badges made in one piece (This has t

Default Opinions needed on this Order of the GPW 1st Class

Hello,

I would like to kindly ask for you opinions on this Soviet Great War badge which is 1st class and low number.

Since I have seen only these kind of badges made in one piece (This has two- the metallic one and the gold one), I am very confused because even in Russian I could not find any information on this item.

Some sources say that the golden plate is real gold but I still doubt it- it might be covered in gold/gilded. Any opinions?
    I see that the hammer and sickle on the front looks like made in gold.

Well the pictures are below, please share your views on this item, I have got it from my dad who died this summer and I just need to sort out his stuff.

Opinions needed on this Order of the GPW 1st Class Opinions needed on this Order of the GPW 1st Class

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions needed on this Order of the GPW 1st Class
    P
    Many

?

Default re: Opinions needed on this Order of the GPW 1st Class

It would be great if you could post a larger photo of the reverse, but it seems to be the real deal. These orders weren't gilded; all the gold you see is real 14-karat (583/1000) gold. These pieces sell for $700-900.

Dear Auke,

Thanks for your replay. It is impressive! I mean the fact that is might be real gold! I have posted a large photo below under the link, please have a look!

http://i46.tinypic.com/ylbty.jpg

Unfortunately I can't find a way how to upload a really huge picture.

Thank you very much for your input and comments!

Attachment 417011

Another thing: as you are saying it might be 583 gold then what do you think how much can it weight? it is not possible to remove the golden plate to weight it separately so I was wondering is you know the approximate weight of it? Thanks

?

Hi Wild Flower, Auke or Ade Stevenson and others will be your experts here.

If it is a legitimate example it has a fairly low serial number. Generally, the lower the number, the more valuable it will be.

?

Thanks for the larger photo! The order is original. The serial number (265521) is actually on the high side, since approximately 325,000 of these were manufactured (disregarding the jubilee issue).

You should be able to unscrew the nut on the reverse, after which the gold disk and the silver star are loose. I would advise against it though, as you would most likely not be able to reattach the parts in exactly the way they are now, and you would get different shades of patina and scratches. But judging by the scratches that are already there it seems that someone has already removed the nut several times.

The order contains 8.329 grams of gold, with deviations of 0.379 grams reported, and the silver content is 16.754 grams, with deviations of 0.977 grams. The overall weight should be 32.34 grams (plus or minus 1.65 grams).

Hi Auke,

Wow I am impressed by you knowledge! I could not have found better information on this medal than from you!
    I weighted it- it is nearly 32 grams. I will fallow your advice and not split the two parts as I do not want to damage the item. Sooner or later it will be sold anyway as I am much more interested in collecting Soviet design than military . As taking into the consideration the price of the gold, the starting bid should be not less than 140 pounds if sold on Ebay, right?

Well, thank you again for your knowledge, I really appreciate your help and sharing your opinions!

Thanks,
    Baiba

?

Glad I could be of assistance!

I'd put it on eBay with a starting bid of one cent and a fair reserve price, just for your ease of mind.

And be sure to take a few excellent photos with lots of lighting. These orders are highly photogenic and attractive photos definitely positively affect the final price.

Hey Auke,
    once again thanks for your help! I will definitely fallow you advice on taking good photos with lots of light!
    That'a a brilliant idea with the reserve price, I am really really thankful for your assistance here!

Have a great week!
    Baiba