MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Osoaviakhim Voroshilov marksmans badge

Article about: Nice one Rob. I recall you buying it Borodin: I guess your friend would have been awarded the RKKA version of the badge, like Kim showed, as opposed to the Osoaviakhim version? Cheers, Ade.

Dom
    ?

Default Re: Osoaviakhim Voroshilov marksmans badge

Document + badges

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Osoaviakhim Voroshilov marksmans badge
    P
    Many

Nice grouping Ade

?

You got some nice ones there Ade.

Here are a couple of mine. They come in many sizes, but the early ones are my favorites.

/Kim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Osoaviakhim Voroshilov marksmans badge  

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Next we have one which came as part of a group. Please see this thread for the other award to the same person:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/order...41/#post128114

Here is the scarce award document, which I was really pleased to have obtained.

The badge itself is the larger size version and is much bigger than the previous ones I have shown. (Same as Ed shows in his group.) This badge dates from 1934. The others shown date from 1932.
    Ade;

What are the dimensions of the booklet? I am curious as to the dimensions of the booklet.

Boridin

Tovarischi;

It is my understanding that the primary purpose for this award, was to recognize the special skills of mounted marksmanship. I have read that the requirements for it's issuance, involved attaining a certain score, while shooting from the back of a horse, or from a moving military vehicle, but primarily from horseback.

Boridin

Hi Guys, as always, thanks for the kind comments.

Kim: they are great examples. I need an RKKA example of this award.

Boridin: the size of the book is 63mm x 94mm.

I would be interested to know the nature of the tests too.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade;

Each of the "common" service weapons had their own requirements, but the "student" was trained, and tested on the use of the pistol, carbine, rifle, and subgun. You progressed to a point where the instructor cadre felt you were "competent", at which point you were tested. If you scored well enough, you passed, and were awarded for that phase. If you passed the whole course with a high enough score, you "graduated", were awarded the Voroshilov Marksmanship award, and returned to your unit. My understanding is that all this training took place at the Voroshilov Cavalry Academy "campus" (so to speak). It was not uncommon for mounted troops (initially animal mounted) to pass through the Academy multiple times, as it was used like an NCO academy, and an Officers Professional Development academy. It was also common to be attending classes for both the marksmanship phase, and the professional development phase simultaneously.

A man that I used to work with attended the Voroshilov academy prior to the outbreak of the GPW in 1938, when he was promoted to Mladishi Serzhant (E-5). He took both the marksmanship, and the junior NCO phase while there in 38, and was ordered back when he was on the list for Serzhant Otryada (Starshi Serzhant [E-7]), but was demobilized in late 45 before he received orders to report back to the academy.

Boridin

Very interesting, thank you!

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Very interesting, thank you!

Cheers, Ade.
    This is what is great about forums like this. We get to share our knowledge!

Boridin

You will also note that the regular Infantry had their own marksmanship awards, so it makes sense that the mounted arms had their own. The skill sets were similar, but not exactly the same.

VIB

Here's mine Ade . I was in the right place at right time to get this at Detling
    Serial numbered 29017
    On some awards the rifleman looks Tsarist - in trousers rather than Soviet style breeches. Nice to see variations in design. Your last badge Rifleman is standing more confidently as on mine !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Osoaviakhim Voroshilov marksmans badge   Osoaviakhim Voroshilov marksmans badge  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast